entire flock not laying eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vicki98, Oct 14, 2011.

1. vicki98

vicki98 New Egg

Jul 27, 2011
    I have one broody chicken I have put in the barn since Sunday. All my hens have been refusing to lay for 2 weeks so I removed her. Still my hens (none of the other 5 are laying. Could there be something wrong I can't see? They have clear eyes, eat and drink well. Sounds crazy I guess but it feels psychological. Anyone ever had this happen? Any ideas? Thanks Vicki

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

The days are getting shorter.. Are they going through a molt?

3. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Mine are all molting. In the super hot summer I was getting 7-8 eggs a day from my 9 hens. We gave away two and are down to 7, but on a good day we get 3, yesterday we got none.

It looks like a pillow exploded in my coop and run though.

4. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    Organized labor and work stike?

Other than that, I am not sure if day light is a factor yet. My area still gets 12 hours. My production is still steady.

As for molting, I think it happens after one year of production and yearly afterward. So an 8-month-old should not be molting. However, it could very widely. My 3-year-old Leghorn is partially naked and completely eggless for the first time in her life.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  5. baileysbackyardbarn

baileysbackyardbarn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2011
    westchester
    I have the same problem! I have 13 chickens and none are laying! I can tell for sure 2 or 3 are molting cuz they are naked but I don't understand why none are laying. My chickens have always been moody when it comes to laying but they are all in their prime over 6months under 2yrs. The only one that's laying is my runner duck! Could it be they are all molting and I can't tell. How long does the molting process take. I'm getting sick of buying eggs!

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I looked at your other posts, since there were only a few. I saw that you have chickens that are over a year old. That is old enough to be doing a fall molt and to be effected by shorter winter days. It's not uncommon for chickens to quit laying due to a molt and then be effected by the short days and not lay until the days are longer in the new year.

Not all chickens have a hard molt, where you see bare patches. Many chickens eat their molted feathers. So, you may not notice a molt, especially if you are new to chickens.

Stress can stop chickens from laying, but it usually has to be something very extreme. Like moving to a new home, adding new chickens to a flock that causes infighting or a bad predator attack.

7. vicki98

vicki98 New Egg

Jul 27, 2011
    Yes, mine are or were molting. Don't know how long it lasts. Didin't realize they would stop laying completely. My broody chick is hard headed, this is the 3rd time seperated and I am making her wait a week in the barn. Hope this works, she seems maybe better a little. Is there something I can do or give her to help get her out of broody state? I am so new at this ~Vicki

8. vicki98

vicki98 New Egg

Jul 27, 2011
    I got a new dog a month ago-he's pretty good with the chickens but he's an Autrailian terrier and looks a bit like a fox. Could that Be the stress?

9. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL
  10. vicki98

vicki98 New Egg

Jul 27, 2011
    Thanks for the article link very helpful. Not sure if they need more light but I might try that after the molt is done. I really appreciate all of you. Being new to chickens, it is so great to have advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by