Entire flock runny nose and sneezing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KNelly, Dec 28, 2014.

1. KNelly

KNelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    Only symptoms they have other than from my laying hens laying funny. 1 hen having one rigged egg and 1 shell less egg and the other hen has stopped laying. What could be wrong? I have a flock of 12. I posted a different thread but didn't get any responses.

2. CCsChickens

CCsChickens Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2014
    Is that the only symptoms? Have you noticed them breathing with a wide open beak? To me the runny nose and sneezing is a classic sign of CRD (Chronic Respiratory Disease) which is known as a serious eye/nasal disease and once a flock has it, they have it for life. My flock did get diagnosed with this due to the open beak breathing, however I'm sceptical as they've never experienced runny noses, nasal discharge or puffy discharged eyes. However I could be wrong but the runny nose made me think of it http://birdhealth.com.au/flockbirds/poultry/diseases/crd.html

If they look like they're really not coping with it best advice would be to take them for a check up. I know its expensive but sometimes its better to pay the bills catch it early and medicate. My vet cost $80 for the consult (as my chickens were struggling to breathe so much that they almost collapsed) and then it was $40 for the 5 day medication. My flocks great now and show little to no symptoms. But yeah so have a look on that link and my idea is that if over 50% sounds like your flock then do so more research and decide what you're going to do (vet/medicate, leave, cull etc) good luck :) x

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/chickens-dont-get-colds/ - this articles also good on understanding respiratory issues.

3. KNelly

KNelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    Unfortunately I don't have vets here that take chickens. No open mouth breathing but now they are making gurgling noise. One can barely keep her eyes open. She keeps one eye shut now and it's got white scales on the lid. A snow storm is about to hit in the next hour so I'm expecting symptoms to get worse. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by