Entire hatch unusual or deformed... why why why

AliciaC

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 22, 2011
IA
I just hatched silkie bantam mix in the incubator. The eggs are from my own chickens. I have 1 blue silkie roo and the following hens,1 buff silkie, 2 white silkie mix, 1 black silkie mix and 1 black frizzle. All are 12 - 14 months old. They hatched late on the 21st day (yesterday). I started with 21 eggs that I collected over 5-6 days. They were laying more than usual that week. All but 2 eggs showed fertility when I candled them on day 4 or 5, by lockdown I had 8. Oh the 8, 4 are fluffy and in the brooder, 2 of those do not stand normal. Their legs are off to the side like they are doing the splits the hard way and they just kind of drag themselves along. 1 is laying still and not fluffy in the bator. Drinks water off the tip of my finger but not getting up. Those that did not survive, 1 had a vaulted or crested "bump" on its head that was much larger than its head and one closed eyelid on the right side. Another was normal length but very narrow... not skinny boney just narrow small frame, very long neck close to the length of the body and flat head. The last did not hatch. Does anyone know what could cause this many issues? Or is something like this more common than I think? I can't stop wondering if I did something wrong... or if something is wrong in my coop. I have fresh layer feed down always, scratch in the afternoon, grit sprinkled once or twice a month, electrolytes/vitamins about every 3 weeks. Insulated draft free coop with straw and pine shavings. I pick up poop every day. They have a big outdoor run with a dirt, screening and straw floor. What the heck is going on?? I just dont see how all these problems happen in one hatch. I didnt take pictures of the chicks that died, at the time I thought it was morbid after some research here i regret not taking any, I see that could have been helpful. I am adding pics of the legs and the one still in the bator. All but 1 have this bump on their head, different sizes though. Is this whats called a vaulted skull? Normal?

Most of the time the problem is with the humidity during incubation, also can be dirty eggs or incubator, not turning them enough or even imbreeding. For your split leg chicks you can splint them together I use steri strips but you can use small band aids. Just make shure you clean all incubators after each hatch, and watch your humidity 60% till last week then 70% during "lockdown" period.

Most of the time the problem is with the humidity during incubation, also can be dirty eggs or incubator, not turning them enough or even imbreeding. For your split leg chicks you can splint them together I use steri strips but you can use small band aids. Just make shure you clean all incubators after each hatch, and watch your humidity 60% till last week then 70% during "lockdown" period.
Wow, you are a great help...thank you! I looked up split leg and splints as you mentioned and have them in little band aid splints. I can rule out dirty incubator and inbreeding, new bator first use and all the chickens came from diferent farms. I had the humidity at 50% until lockdown. Again, thank you vey much! I'm relieved I'm able to help these 2 split leg chicks out!

Great information Thank You!! I saved every link you shared with me. Chicks are looking better, more active, 2 are wearing their little band aid splints... it only took me about 3 hours to get those on. I see after reading some of the info shared here I did make some mistakes every step of the way starting with step 1 selecting and collecting eggs. I kept them in a bowl with a towel in it on the kitchen counter, didn't turn them once until they went in the incubator. I kept the humidity too low the 1st 18 days, I didnt vent and I'm sorry to say... I know this will make you cringe... I did wipe the eggs off with a damp cloth, I was kinda thinking it would be better to start with clean eggs. Its a wonder the poor eggs hatched at all. Thank you again! I'll bet this goes A LOT better for me next time.

Back
Top Bottom