1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

entry form Q

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by isaacsmommy104, Jul 9, 2011.

1. isaacsmommy104

isaacsmommy104 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Randolph
    So when we filled out my sons entry form for fair (4H) apparently we did it incorrectly and now I am so confused. He has all bantams so I listed bantam, then breed, then color. For his bantam cochins she said they go under feather legged, not bantam. For our Seramas I was told they go under SCCL, not bantam. Also, since the Seramas are note white I put AOV for the color. I was told that I can't put that b/c that only applies to standard breeds. Why is that and what do I put for colors on any breed where it is not an "accepted color"? Can someone explain to me what determines a bantam on an entry form? Apparently the OEGB's he entered were fine under bantam but when I thought about it they are really single comb clean legged too so what made them bantam and not the serama? I am sure I have made myself sound like a total idiot.

2. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:For OE and other breeds that have both standard and Bantam it does need to be clear, however I would have also assumed you need to properly identify the bantam cochin. The Serama now that the breed has been accepted and standardized as white variety and other color varieties pending soon should have been AOV unless white. I wish I had a better answer for you but without seeing the entry form the explanation itself does not sound as if you were incorrect.
    I could have understood if there was some confusion on Cock vs Cockrell and hen vs Pullet as that is age differences.

Sorry I can't offer any help here.

3. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    The person on the other end may be getting mixed up.

this is an example of one i had to fill out. I am also in 4-h (this was a poultry show form though)

Breed: Cochin

Large fowl or Bantam: Bantam

Color: Buff

Class: Feathered Legged ( i never put that down the other corodenators took care of that)

Sex: OM (Old male in this case)

4. isaacsmommy104

Jul 14, 2010
    Randolph
    I am going to try to find a copy of the original form. Its really upsetting me. I just want to be sure I fill out forms for other shows correctly. That and if she is misunderstanding and teaching 4Hers that, it needs to be fixed. Same as for me. I don't want to teach my son something wrong.

5. edgarmongold

edgarmongold Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Quote:Good Luck!

As soon as you educate that person on how they do it at poultry shows there will be a new person to take their place and you start over again.

Been there and done that as 14 years as a 4-H Advisor.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Chickens are either large fowl (sometimes called standard) or bantam. Each of these is then divided into divisions (ABA terminology; APA calls them classes, which is confusing, as class is also used for age/gender. Bantam divisions are
    1) Old English/American Game
    2) Modern Game
    3) Single Comb Clean Legged (SCCL)
    4) Rose Comb Clean Legged (RCCL)
    5) All Other Comb Clean Legged (AOCCL)
    6) Feather Legged

There are only two breeds in the OEGB/American Game Division: Old English Game Bantams and American Game Bantams. There are only Modern Game Bantams in the Modern Game division. The other divisions all have multiple breeds. Note that except for games, the breeds are divided by clean leg vs featherleg, and the clean leg breeds are divided by comb type. For a couple of breeds, there are more than one type of comb allowed, and therefore the birds are listed in the division that matches their comb type: for example, single combed leghorns and RIR are in SCCL, but rose combed leghorns and RIR are is RCCL.

Each breed is then divided by variety (colour/colour pattern). Depending on how your entry form is filled out, you may or may not list that the variety is AOV for the breed. For example, our county fair ONLY accepted online entries, and there were number codes for the specific breed & variety combination. Not all recognised varieties, or even breeds were available codes, and there were AOV and AOB (any other breed) codes for each division.

If you are filling out a form freehand, and do not have to use codes to specify breed and/or variety, list the specific variety, even if it is not a recognised variety for the breed. You can put "(AOV)" afterwords if you wish. The judge SHOULD know whether a variety listed is AOV for the breed or not.

The age/gender terms you will need to select from are Cock, Hen, Cockerel, Pullet, Young Trio, Old Trio. You need to look at your instructions, as some shows list birds born before a date as being Cock or Hen, but in general, Cocks, Hens and Old Trios are all at least a year old, and Cockerels, Pullets and Young Trios are less than a year old. Birds less than 6 months old will not compete well; generally older is better, as long as it does not exceed the age limitation for cockerel/pullet. If you have waterfowl, they are referred to as Old Male, Young Male or Old Female, Young Female, Old Trio, Young Trio. Age rules for waterfowl will be the same as for Landfowl (which also includes turkeys).

For the seramas, name their colour as closely as possible; I do realize that the names for serama colours are very much non-standard.

7. isaacsmommy104

Jul 14, 2010
    Randolph
    We did list the Seramas as AOV for color/variety. I was told bantams can not be listed as AOV, only large fowl. As for listing as feather legged, SCCL, etc. there was no place for it. They literally wanted it where I entered bantam. In the case of, let's say Cochins, there are large fowl and bantams. Therefore if I had just wrote - feather legged, cochin, blue, pullet
    - how would they know whether it was a bantam or not? It was a very typical form that many shows use. I am still trying to get a copy. For the Delmarva and Marietta shows we didn't have to specify SCCL, feather leggd, AOCCL, etc. The entry form for fair was extremely similar to those. I just started to feel stupid I guess.

So when the birds go to champion row, is there a bantam SCCL and a large fowl SCCL and so on? Veering off of my 4H misunderstanding.

Oh, and Edgar, the lady doing our paperwork has been doing it for some time and I also thought about what if she leaves and someone new comes in. Aarrgghh... Have to get her the standard on the Seramas as she had never heard of the breed and is worried the judge may not have as well.

8. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    I am e-mailing you a standard show entry form and catalog that will demonstrate and expain entries. Hope this helps.

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:No, Large Fowl have their own divisions: American, Asiatic, Continental, English, Mediterranean, Any Other Standard Breed (AOSB). Champion Row will have a Champion and Reserve for each division, from the Divisions Champions, the Champion Large Fowl and Champion Bantam will be chosen, then the reserve. (All remaining Champions, and the reserve of the division that won Champion Large or Bantam compete for reserve. Then the Champions and Reserve of Landfowl (all birds except waterfowl) and then of the Show (including waterfowl) are selected. I did not go into waterfowl, but they are also divided into divisions of duck and goose, and within each of those into light, medium and heavy. Ducks also have a bantam division. In the ABA, the bantam ducks compete for champion bantam; not so in the APA. So it is possible for a show to have two different Champion Bantams.

Is the show sanctioned? If so, I don't think they can exclude AOV birds. To become a recognised breed or variety, AOV birds MUST be shown. But many 4H and fairs are not sanctioned, and follow APA/ABA rules and procedures minimally.

10. isaacsmommy104

Jul 14, 2010
    Randolph
    It is not a sanctioned show. It is for 4H. Just makes me wonder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by