environmental impact -pro chicken studies? Anything out there?

Organics North

Songster
10 Years
Dec 30, 2009
Wisconsin Northwoods
Hi,
Anything out there pro chicken? I am thinking 6 chickens equals 1 dog or 3 cats in waste production? Also comparing to humans.

My area is very undeveloped. I mean 1000's of acres with no homes still in large tracts. All zoned single family residential.. Which does not allow for even one chicken! It appears that any section that comes up against a lake or marsh has been zoned residential instead of forest or farm.
ON

Quote:
In regards to pet waste, information that I've seen indicates that the average dog produces 12 ounces of solid waste and 1.5 ounces of urine per day. The average chicken produces 1.5 ounces total per day.

You may also be interested to know that approximately 37% of households own at least one dog, and households that own dogs have, on average, 1.5 or 1.7 dogs (can't remember which).

We are using these statistics in our argument for keeping hens in the city, as our relatively small city of population 13,000 produces 1,500 pounds of dog waste per day (3/4 of a ton), versus a projected 18 pounds from the 200 hens we are expecting. Oh, and 40% of dog waste is not picked up, so it washes right into our environment...

steve

You may also want to add that chicken waste is compostable, and great for renewing the soil and foilage, where dog waste isn't.

big_smile.png

Yup! Good info to help build the environmental impact side of my argument.
ON

if you want to mention the gas emmissions, I hear that chickens have some of the lowest of any animal, including dogs. I think I saw that on the planet green channel or what ever it is called.

Cows have some of the highest btw.

Back
Top Bottom