Epic fail on shipping eggs experiment

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DeckDuck, Aug 20, 2013.

1. DeckDuck

DeckDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2013
    I tried to ship some duck eggs to my mother last week. These were not for hatching, it was more of an experiment a failed experiment.

I wrapped each egg in small sized bubble wrap and taped the ends over to provide extra cushioning. Then I lined a Ziplock bag with several layers of the same bubble wrap and tucked the eggs into it on a single layer. I put more bubble wrap on top, sealed the bag (it's a good thing I did!), put it in a box with some other stuff that should have provided cushioning, and mailed it via the USPS. I told the person there that the package had eggs in it and she put several stamps on the box to ensure it was handled with care.

I had predicted that it would go well. Duck eggs, after all, have very thick shells and membranes. I have difficulty opening mine to eat. Apparently when the package arrived each and every one of two dozen eggs had a broken shell with yolk dripping out. Wow! The other day I had trouble breaking one of these yolks open with a fork.

So I ended up shipping a bag of two dozen rotten eggs to my mother! [​IMG] I'm left to wonder if the error was in how I packaged them or if I had just been particularly unlucky.

I needed to vent about this, because non-chicken people don't seem to understand what would possess me to ship eggs in the mail. I'm not quite sure I understand my motives myself. But seriously, how on Earth do people manage to successfully ship hatching eggs? Is there a way to do it right or is it always a game of chance?

2. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Think an elephant must have sat on yours.sounds like you did wellWasnt too tightly packed was it?They haave to beunmovable yet not tightly packed.Yours sound like just bad luck.

3. DeckDuck

DeckDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2013
    Quote: Haha That's what I was thinking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by