1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

eplacing chicken plucker fingers

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by pdavin, Sep 26, 2015.

1. pdavin

pdavin Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2010
    Waynesburg, PA
    Does anyone have any experience with an industrial chicken plucker. We use one that was retired from an University Ag program. I suspect the fingers need replaced. How can I tell? We seemed to have skin tearing the last time we butchered and the fingers look rounded and worn. They are also very (!) stiff. Like I can't even get the tip to flex when pushed. Also how do I pull them for replacement.
    I saw several instruction for a puller to install new fingers but nothing on removing used fingers. I may be making too much of this but I hate to go into a project totally unprepared.

2. pdavin

Jan 26, 2010
    Waynesburg, PA
    Well I am going to tear into this plucker. Please is there anyone who has attempted to replace plucker fingers? I would just really like to know what to expect.

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Vice grips to grab on then pull. I've never replaced them but looking at the bulb end it seems it's a simple (with some muscle, fumbling and side to side motion) pull out push in connection.

4. pdavin

Jan 26, 2010
    Waynesburg, PA
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by