Eprinex ok on baby chicks?

farmgirl2477

Songster
12 Years
Apr 2, 2007
Oviedo, FL
A friend of mine brought me a present today! 2 baby chicks. Problem is they are covered in red mites!! I saw 6 or 7 of them on top of there heads when I first saw them. I lightly dusted them in sevin dust, but wondering if that will be enough. I have Eprinex, which I give my flock twice a year. Just wondering if I should give them a drop, or if they are too young? Im out of DE, and not sure when Ill be able to get more. Closest place that sells it is about 100 miles away. Gotta have it mailed.

Not sure how old they are, but are about half feathered.

Thanks,
Shannon

I got a closer look now that they are calming down a bit. Looks like its fleas, not mites! I didnt know fleas went after peepers. Think the dust killed em all...hopefully anyway
smile.png

Thanks,
Shannon

I would be reluctant to use Eprinex on such young ones. Do you have any DE? That would be the safest for babies. Other than that I would probably use something you can get in the caged bird section of the Pet Shop. They have something called Scalex and it is for caged birds and treats lice and mites, It is made with Pyrethrin (Sp) its a non chemicle substance used in insectcides made from Crysanthumums. I would think fleas would be included too. They also have a Frontline Spray.

Back
Top Bottom