Equine pellets for brooder? Brooder bedding?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by noahsmom, Feb 15, 2013.

1. noahsmom

noahsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2013
    North Eastern, Ky
    Does anyone else use equine pellets "pine" for their brooders? I picked some up at TSC today the TSC brand pellets and hoping that this is ok to use? I read one thread where a few said they did like them while in TSC on my Iphone... I'm beginning to gather up everything for the brooder and wondering about using them. I plan to use them in the coop instead of hay or shavings as well.
    Should I lay something over them the first few days for the chicks? Add water to soften them up a bit? Appreciate some advice.
    Are the pellets going to cause an insane amount of dust, yes I know the chicks will in my house, but is the pellets only going to add to it? Is their a better way that won't produce so much dust? Could play sand be used in the brooder?

Other suggestions?
    I'm allergic to hay I believe, I was when I was a child and getting around it now causes headaches, I'm praying that the pine pellets/shavings won't do the same to me.

TIA! :)

2. Knittycat

Knittycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    Pellets or sand will be fine. If the pellets make a crazy amount of dust, I'd go with the sand, if only for dusting reasons. If your allergies act up around the pine (although I doubt your hay allergies would be triggered by pine pellets, but if it's acutally a dust allergy, you might have a problem) I'd go with the sand just to be safe. I've never heard of pellets being particularly dusty though.

3. noahsmom

noahsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2013
    North Eastern, Ky
    Thanks, I can probably stand it, its my son with allergies I worry about mostly. We will give the pellets a try and if they don't work then I'll go buy some play sand. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by