ER HELP!!!!! pROBLEM WITH EGGS AND 1 UNDER BROODY PIPING!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 2hot2chicken, Dec 16, 2011.

1. 2hot2chicken

2hot2chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Beaverton
    i WENT OUT TONIGHT TO LOCK UP THE COOP AND FOUND 1 OF THE EGGS MY SILKIE BROODY HAS BEEN SITTING ON THE FLOOR OF THE COOP! THEN MY INSTA MOM (SILKIE WHO ADOPTS EVERY CHICK EVEN WHEN SHES NOT BROODY) WAS LAYING ON THE FLOOR NEARBY ON THE OTHER 2! THE EGG THAT WAS ON THE FLOOR HAD ITS SHELL BROKEN AND IT WAS DONE FROM THE INSIDE OUT BUT IT WAS QUIET SO i RUSHED IT INSIDE TO CANDLE AND SEE IF IT WAS STILL ALIVE. ONE OF THIS HENS CHICKS FROM THIS SUMMER HAD GOTTEN IN THE NEST WITH HER. iM GUESSING TRIED TO GET UNDER HER AND PUSHED THE EGGS OUT? SHE IS A VERY GOOD MOM AND WOULD HAVE LET IT HAPPEN!

iT LET OUT A FEW QUIET PEEPS WHEN i CANDLED THEN GET QUIET AGAIN! i OPENED ITS SHELL A LITTLE BIT BY CHIPPING AWAY AT IT WITH MY NAIL THEN i USED A NEEDLE AND BROKE THE MEMBRANE OPEN.IT WAS BREATHING AND THE BEAK WAS RIGHT THERE WHERE IT HAD STARTED TO PIP. i TOOK IT BACK OUT TO THE HEN AND LEFT IT CAUSE I DO NOT HAVE AN INCUBATOR. THIS WAS A FEW HOURS AGO. IM GONA GO CHECK ON IT AGAIN TO SEE HOW ITS DOING AFTER GETTING ITS BELL RUNG FROM THE FALL AND GETTING COLD. i MAY INTERVIEN AND BREAK A LIL MORE OF ITS SHELL OFF IF IT HASNT DONE ANYMORE ALREADY. iM SURE ITS TIRED AND IT IS ALREADY ON DAY 23 SO ITS YOLK PROBLY IS GETTING USED UP. tHE MEMBRANE WAS DRY IN THE SPOT I OPENED AND I DID NOT SEE ANY BLOOD VESLES YET.

IF I DO END UP OPENING THE EGG SOME MORE SHOULD I WET IT AS I GO?

IF THE EGG IS BROKEN MORE THAN THE LIL HOLE I MADE I WILL NOT BE TOUCHING IT AND I WILL LET THE CHICK DO IT ON ITS OWN.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I would leave it alone for a while. Let it regain its strength from being cold, etc. The more you mess with it, the drier the membrane is going to get. If you do have to help it more, yes, moisten the membrane as you go... [​IMG]

3. 2hot2chicken

Jul 15, 2011
    Beaverton
    WELL THAT WAS MY THINKING TO WHICH IS WHY I PUT EM ALL BACK UNDER HER FOR A FEW HOURS BEFORE DOING ANYTHING. I FIGURED THE COLD WAS THE WRST THING FOR THEM AT THIS POINT BECAUSE THE FALL WAS ONLY ABOUT 1-1.5 FEET FROM THE NEST ONTO SAND SO THEY HAD A SOFT LANDING.

GOOD NEWS THOUGH!
    THE 1 THAT HAD PIPED IS NOW HALF WAY ZIPPED AND A SECOND EGG HAS NOW PIPPED. THE 3RD EGG I CANDLED AND THERE WAS MOVEMENT. THIS EGG I PUT UNDER MY BROODY FROM THE FRIDGE AND WAS A LITTLE OVER A DAY AFTER THE OTHERS SO IM NOT WORRIED ABOUT IT SINCE I SAW IT WAS STILL MOVING.

BABIES IN THE MORNING!!!! ya

4. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    yay!

5. 2hot2chicken

Jul 15, 2011
    Beaverton
    OK 1 LIL FUZZY BUT DOWN 1.5 TO GO [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

pARENTS:
    HEN is breeder quality blue hen from a blue hen and splash roo
    ROO is hatchery stock buff but was starting to blossom when I rehomed him a few weeks ago

1ST CHICK DRIED AND APPEARS HEALTHY. iTS A BEAUTIFUL SILVERY COLOR WITH A SLIGHTLY DARKER HEAD AND BUFF TRACES IN THE HEAD/NECK AND WING TIPS. iT ALMOST LOOKS TO BE MAYBE BLUE SPLASH WITH SOME BUFF TRACES?

2nd egg has zipped

3rd egg nothing that I could see.

On the plus side my hen is not so aggressive when I mess with her now! LOL
    All I am doing at this point is lifting her slightly to check the hatching progess. but shes not trying to rip my hand off now like she used to....... [​IMG]

6. 2hot2chicken

Jul 15, 2011
    Beaverton
    good and sad news.....

I went out to lock up the girls and check the chicks again......

Good news first:
    Found chick #2 fully out of its egg but feathers were dried and caked to its body so it never fluffed and it was laying outside the nest and freezing cold, not moving. I quickly rushed it in the house and checked it in the light and saw it breath so I rushed into action and got it wraped in a towel and in the heating pad. It warmed up pretty fast and is now trying to walk around and has drank some vitamin water from a dropper! I didn't think it would make it but its now doin great! It starts peeping like crazy when I get near my makeshift brooder and wables over to my hand!

Bad news:
    I went back out to check on the 1st chick after I got #2 active and found #1 across the coop in a cold corner and stiff. I thot it to was dead but its eye moved so slightly and I have seen it take a couple breaths...... This 1 is in much the same shape the last 1 was in but it maybe was this way longer since I found it later... I have hen in coop but closed off from the rest of the flock. I know the chick wandered away cause it was very active this afternoon when I checked it and there is 2 holes in the closed off area the chick could have walked out of.

My broody has been a wonderful very attentive protective mom in the past and is still sitting patiently on the last egg.... I don't think that she intentionally kicked them out or acted agressive twards them because they are not injured that I can tell. This morning when I held chick #1 and it was peeping she was calling to it and looking for it. Im hoping #1 chick makes it so I do not have 1 lonly chick in the brooder. I'm going to keep the chicks inside for a few days I guess till they are stronger then take em out to her to try again.....

Please pray for the 1st chick!!! I feel so bad now that I didn't look for it when I found #2 practicly dead but all I could think about was warming up the chick in my hand...... [​IMG]

7. 2hot2chicken

Jul 15, 2011
    Beaverton
    well it didn't make it [​IMG]
    Now I have to explain this to my kids in the morning...... Ugg. And find #2 a buddy in case the last egg doesn't make it either!
    Any1 in portland oregon got a silkie chick or any bantam size chick for that matter? [​IMG]

8. champer

champer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    San Martin, CA
    Quote:[​IMG] So sorry!

9. 2hot2chicken

Jul 15, 2011
    Beaverton
    Update:
    #2 is a cool looking buff with blue underfluff! So cute and has imprinted on me as mom. Its lonely being the only chick but I have been giving it lots of attention. I have tracked down some day old chicks which I will be picking up tomorrow. Until then it gets to be spoiled rotten. I'm going to be keeping them in the house to raise I guess. I don't want to risk putting them outside with broody again. at leased for a few days. I havn't decided yet. Depends more on how far I an push DH.... [​IMG] He told me no more chicks for a long time. I didn't tell him till the other night I had a broody on eggs. Needless to say hes not to happy with me right now. Now hes not happy I'm getting more chicks to keep the 1 we have company. He will get over it tho. [​IMG]

Egg #3 still nothing. I'm gona give it 1-2 more days then pull it from hen.

This is chick #1 R.I.P
    [​IMG]
    It had a silver body and a chocolate colored head! Woulda been such a cool color!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by