Erin says hello from (sunny) Idaho!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Idahochick84, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Idahochick84

Idahochick84 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2015
    Central Idaho
    Ok, I finally joined because I've been lurking around here long enough, and... I ordered chicks!! I've wanted chick(en)s for SO long, but couldn't have them where I lived before (silly in-town poultry regulations, in a SMALL ag-based community). We're actually renting the place we're in so I figured I could grow up some chicks for my brother (they have a small coop at their new place), and that way I get a little chicken-fix before we're in our own home. So, I go to order chicks, because I can't wait for the farm stores in Idaho to get chicks, and a minimum order is 15-25!! Yikes!! At most, brother's chicken coop is appropriately sized for about 6 chickens... So what do I do?? Of course order 9 Cornish X to fill out the order, knowing I'll butcher them in ~8 weeks. Now, I have read TONS about laying hens... and until a week ago, hadn't read a word about broilers... I had a minor panic attack when reading all the things that are incredibly different between the two, but have become a little more settled about my knee-jerk decision (do I have a choice??). So last weekend, Dad and I built two large brooding boxes, one for the little layers (eeeeee!!!), and one for the broilers (as they are going to be out in a shed and not in the luxury of the garage). They ship on St. Patrick's Day... so I think they'll all have Irish names :)
    I cannot wait!!
    Happy to be a member and looking forward to this experiment/experience and learning more with you all!
    ~Erin

2. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Welcome! [​IMG]

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. :eek:) My ancestors were from Ireland and I like Irish names. I noticed that your name (Erin) is Irish as well. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chicks are you getting?

4. Idahochick84

Idahochick84 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2015
    Central Idaho
    Thank you Michael! ... And to enhance my Irish, I was born in Butte, MT, one of the most Irish places around!

I have 2 Buff Orps, 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte, 1 Jersey Giant, and 2 Ameraucanas (Easter Eggers I think) coming! I'm so egg-cited! Even though they'll go to live out at my brother's, I get to raise them!! Oh, and the 9 Cornish X.... those are my fear, but I think they'll be fine. I have no problems (I say that now...) with the butchering aspect, and I really hate buying chicken at the store, so to grow my own will be pretty cool!

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D , glad you joined in

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

7. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Good luck with your new adventure. So glad you decided to join us.

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC.[​IMG] I'm glad you joined our wonderful community!

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome. I have some Buff Orpingtons in my flock and they are a wondeful breed. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds, including those on your list), and they are beautiful, hardy, friendly and gentle (my children and my granddaughter made lap pets of them), and good layers of large, brown eggs. Our Easter Eggers are my granddaughter's (pictured in my avatar) favorite chickens. She loves their colored eggs. Good luck with your flock.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Erin- hope you enjoy Backyard chickens as much as we do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by