Ermine, mink, coyotes, lynx and bears

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by AlaskaGrown, Mar 2, 2014.

1. AlaskaGrown

AlaskaGrown Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2014
    Our property seems to be chalked full of potential predators. We routinely have brown and black bears wondering through the yard in mid to late summer. Our neighbor has spotted a few lynx within the past year. But the biggest pest I have found is the ermine and mink. These little buggers can take out an entire hen house. Does anyone have any good methods for deterring these predators?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

About the only way to keep bears out is with a few strands of hot wire. Works for most other large predators as well. As for the smaller ones, you'll need a very secure coop at night, make sure all your ventilation is covered with hardware cloth, no chicken wire anywhere.

3. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    x2 on the no chicken wire. Raccoons can easily pull it apart. Ermine can slip into almost any nook and cranny so make sure that your coop is secured tightly and every hole repaired. If they really wanted to, bears can pretty much knock over a coop and get to all of your chickens so electric fence is probably the only thing you can do to prevent a bear attack. Some with lynx. Get some electric fence.

4. AlaskaGrown

AlaskaGrown Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2014
    I think I may buy a solar/electric fence. I spoke with the neighbors who said the black bears and neighborhood dogs are the biggest pests. We have a lot more brown bears than black bears around here, and the brownies typically aren't as pesky. Let's hope they are more interested in the salmon down at the creek than my hens .

Thanks for the replies

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by