Erratic laying behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jtfoster, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Jtfoster

Jtfoster Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2013
    Lakeland, FL
    I have a RIR that is a little over 7 months old. She been laying about 6 weeks. She layed very well, averaged about 5 eggs a week for the first three weeks. Now she lays "shell-less" eggs sometimes, normal eggs sometimes and double yolk eggs sometimes. I just started her on oyster shell two days ago, then first thing this morning I found a "shell-less" egg. I have her on layer pellets also. I've cut out all snacks. A local chicken farmer advised me to give a 5-10% mix of Calf manna to them for about 3 weeks. Aside from all this she seems happy and healthy.

Any other ideas or suggestions are welcome

2. bobshere

bobshere Chillin' With My Peeps

Im having a similar problem. My 5 rsl's are 21 weeks today. They are all laying as of last week. I had one that layed before 16 weeks old. She has been on a roll. She laid every day the first 14 days of august...nice medium size eggs. Nothing has changed in the feed. They get oyster shell on the side too. Now the last 4 days she has laid rubber eggs from the roost after dark. Strange...she is the sweetest thing ive ever seen. ..im hoping she gets back on track and there is nothing wrong with her.

3. Jtfoster

Jtfoster Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2013
    Lakeland, FL
    Interesting that you said she is laying from the roost. I noticed that when the eggs have no shell, they are not in the nesting box, in fact they are in the coop in a spot that may indicate she lays them from the roost. I didn't think of that, I just figured she laid them before I checked on them, but she may be laying at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by