Errr....My basset ate old incubated eggs...=/ advice please?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Riocotesei, Feb 6, 2009.

  1. Riocotesei

    Riocotesei Chillin' With My Peeps

    936
    2
    141
    Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    Sorry, I'm not sure where to post this....
    What happened is, I had just finished my last hatch and I chucked the unhatched eggs out in a trash bag on the porch. We don't have trash pickup so it sits off to the side of the yard. My basset puppy was outside earlier today and while I was feeding all the critters. He got into the trash while I was busy, he's never dug in the trash outside before so I didn't expect that to happen.
    I'm worried if he will get sick from eating eggs that have been in a incubator for 24 days then sat outside for 2, might make him sick. [​IMG] Does anyone have any experience with this? Should I worry or give him something? He's only 13 weeks old.
    Any advice? Thanks
     
  2. English Chick

    English Chick English Mum

    Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    I would ring your vet and ask his advice........he is such a young dog. How many eggs did he eat?
     
  3. buckeye lady

    buckeye lady Chillin' With My Peeps

    392
    0
    129
    Sep 29, 2008
    Rootstown Ohio
    Dogs are able to eat and digest Rancid meat. The PH of gastric acid also kills most bacteria. Puppy may vomit but will probable be fine. Prepare for VERY BAD GAS!!!!
     
  4. moduckman

    moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

    556
    5
    131
    Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    Rotten eggs are just that. That dog will eat fecal matter, rotten meat and who knows what. He may get sick, but he won't die.... just don't let him lick your face for a few days.[​IMG]
     
  5. maplesky7

    maplesky7 Flock Mistress

    Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    ew.

    I had a friend who's dog ate rat poison. We had to feed him (or shove down his throat) salt until he vomited.

    Don't know how long ago your pup ate the eggs but it wouldn't hurt to call a vet just to see what they say.


    me,
    g
     
  6. EllyMae

    EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

    I know this is gross, but my basset got into the bag of scooped kitty litter(yes, with lots of turdies) and ate over half of the contents. THat didn't kill her so I bet the eggs will be ok. She just might throw up or be stinky for a while!
    And what is it with the bassets? They eat ANYTHING!!
     
  7. Opa

    Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

    9,572
    375
    326
    May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Dogs derive some sort of perverted pleasure from eating nasty things. Goes back to there wolf ancestors being scavangers. I can't think of anything nasty that a dog won't eat.
     
  8. Wifezilla

    Wifezilla Positively Ducky

    11,199
    44
    311
    Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Other than getting a gas mask, you shouldn't have issues [​IMG]
     
  9. snowydiamonds

    snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

    I'm taking veterinary assistant classes in the winters. The canine digestive system is shorter compared to human's so this enables them to eat all kinds of things we couldn't since it gets out of their system quicker. That being said, keep him hydrated and watch for gas and diarrhea. A call to the vet or er vet for medical advice is also a good idea when in doubt. Kiss his soft ears for me...LOL
     
  10. buckeye lady

    buckeye lady Chillin' With My Peeps

    392
    0
    129
    Sep 29, 2008
    Rootstown Ohio
    Please don't ever feed an animal salt to induce vomiting. It raises sodium blood levels and leads to dehydration, hearts beat irregularities, kidney problems and those are just the major risks.
    If you need to make your dog vomit use regular household hydrogen peroxide about 1 oz per 10 lbs of body Wt will induce vomiting. If not effective repeat in 30 minutes. You can pour down dogs throat or mix with some milk to encourage dog to drink.
    Always seek Vetrinary advise and intervention.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by