ERRR temp changes in LG

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by notchicken, Oct 28, 2010.

1. notchicken

notchicken New Egg

Oct 28, 2010
    ok so 10 days ago set 20 eggs from 2 different pens. Had temp stable at 99.5-100.5 give or take with the ambient outside temp of 80. The ambient temp dropped 5 days ago to 78 and my hygrometer hasnt been working right for those 5 days. Well bought a new one and O NO the bators been at 98.5 for the last 5 days. I candled and alot look infertile found 1 blood ring and possible 3 still alive or maybe quitters.
    I dont want to give up on them!!! got it back to 99.5ish or as close as an LG can get! I feel like iv been robbed by LG!! Anybody had an experence like this did anything hatch from it??

2. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    If it's in a drafty room there is nothing you can do about it. If the thermometer would have worked you could have adjusted it. It isn't Little Giant's fault. Mine went up to 105 one day because the sun shone on it. That was my fault, and not theirs. Things like that happen a lot. You just have to move on. No incubator holds the exact temp the whole incubation period.

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Im guessing its a incubator with no fan... If it is then that's why it dropped with ambient. http://cmfarm.us/stillair.html

shouldn't kill them but will slow them down big time. They need to be 101 at the top of the egg in a still air.

4. notchicken

notchicken New Egg

Oct 28, 2010
    Quote:Nope no Draft only huge swings of outside temp 40 at night hitting 90 during the day! Ya i know its not lgs fault its mine for getting a wafer style thermo and a small styrofoam. Im going to tear it apart use the heating element and build a 1/2 plywood insulated forced air bator line it with insulation. the one im using now is forced air and i constanly fight with it and my house thremo this time of year 50 deg swings outside are uncool

5. lightfoot

lightfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2010
    NW minnesota
    Quote:Nope no Draft only huge swings of outside temp 40 at night hitting 90 during the day! Ya i know its not lgs fault its mine for getting a wafer style thermo and a small styrofoam. Im going to tear it apart use the heating element and build a 1/2 plywood insulated forced air bator line it with insulation. the one im using now is forced air and i constanly fight with it and my house thremo this time of year 50 deg swings outside are uncool

home made can be the best way to go, but, remember that the mass should be on the heat side and insulation on the outside.

6. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

Unless you have no thermostat-managed heat inside your house ( where the incubator is ...? ) the outdoor swings in temperature should make NO difference....barring drafts.

IF, however, you heat the house with a woodstove, as I do....you need to be VERY cognizant of the temperature and KEEP it STABLE.

just my 2 pesos worth, [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Junkmanme [​IMG]

7. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    98.5 will still grow your eggs....its only 1 degree cold. They would just be a day late.

8. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    I am using a LG incubator I found if I kept my bed room exactly at 72 degrees the LG would not flux. Unless it got over 73 I had to watch the temp in the room as well as in the incubator cause it will rise I just adjust it during the day during the summer when its warmer and then again as temp drop. Now that its cooler I have been ok with 98.9 degrees - 99. degrees the eggs appear to be developing. This will be my 3rd hatch and I am hoping for a better hatch rate this go around. The only thing I did add this time is a fan in my room to circulate the air in my room but not directly on the incubator I pointed it away from the incubator pointed up towards the ceiling.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by