errrr Hubby's dog!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by nightshade, Apr 10, 2009.

1. nightshade

nightshade Chillin' With My Peeps

Well I came home tonight from working at the new farm to find that one of Hubby's coon dogs had gotten lose. After getting out of the car I found that my dog who was tied out had something black and was shaking the crud out of it and tearing it to bits. At first I thought it was my son's cat, which made no since at all cause the pair of them sleep in the house together on the bed all the time. I told my son to stay in the car and went running to save his kitty. When I got to him I found it was not the cat thank god but instead something black with feathers, that was all that I could tell from what was left.

Hubby caught his dog and we went about trying to figure out what the dead thing was. From the looks of it Hubby's girl that had gotten lose and had lovingly gave it to my boy as a gift after she caught it and killed it, then went to see what else she could find.

I was so mad it took me almost 40 mins to figure out that it was my good little hen who just happened to be setting on a dozen call duck eggs. So it was a rush to get them in the bater but I don't know if they will be okay.

I also lost a big nest from in front of our garage where she did not get the hen but did chase it off the nest and broke many of the eggs which unfortunately where all good by the looks of them. It made me sick to my stomach to see all the dead little babies laying around their crushed eggs.

Needless this put an end to the debate of the arrangements of the hunting dogs at the new farm. Hubby wanted them on chains and coops because he says they are easier to care for that way. I wanted them in kennel runs to prevent something like this, after all they are trained to hunt and kill that is what they do and are suppose to do. But what if it had been baby goats that were out playing in the yard of something. He was very pushy about oh my dogs have never killed any of your birds it will be okay , blah blah blah. Well now it has happened and they are going in fence when we move if I have to put it in myself!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  2. MamaJohnson

MamaJohnson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Idaho
    How sad! I'm so sorry for your losses. @%#* dog! [​IMG]

3. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Ohh so sorry, poor hen and babies. I bet you are very mad and upset. I think you are right in fences would be best, for the dogs.

4. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    hate to mention this but it seems once a dog especally hunting gets the tast of chicken blood they wont stop killin them and ya have to destroy that animal, they do anything even hurt themselves to get to the chickens

5. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Quote:They're hunting dogs, they already have a strong prey drive or they would be useless. There is no need to kill a chicken-killing dog, just keep them separate and secure as the OP intends to. Even if you put the dog down, what's to stop a wild predator killing them instead?

Kennels are much safer for the dogs than chains, no risk of strangulation (if their collars are removed of course).

6. nightshade

nightshade Chillin' With My Peeps

There is absolutely no way I will KILL her or any dog! to me it is just wrong. I think a little preventive fencing and a shocking collar will go a long way. She is such a sweet girl but she has proven that she wont be safe around birds.

7. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    i had 2 good coon hounds dig the nails out of there paws and bleed to death while at work trying to dig there way out of a kennels

8. Justaheifer

Justaheifer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2009
    I've had my own coonhounds and I've had other peoples lost coon hounds show up on my farm.
    IF a coon hound kills chickens or any other farm animal, it's gonna get shot by some one.
    If it's hunting desire is for any animal, other than coons, it ain't worth keeping!
    Sounds like they need some training!

9. lindamass15

lindamass15 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2007
    sorry for your loss, but on the other hand now it might be easier to convince him to fenced in the dogs anyway now he cant say his dog havn't killed any of your chicken.

10. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Sorry to hear about your birds!

And good for you for convincing your husband. The dogs will be much happier in fencing than on chains, anyway!

edited because I can't spell!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by