Escambia county laws regarding backyard chickens

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by johnebgd1, Feb 14, 2012.

1. johnebgd1

johnebgd1 New Egg

Feb 13, 2012
    Can anybody out there tell me if it is legal to keep ckickens in escambia county fla? I appreciate any input in this regard.

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

http://escambia.ifas.ufl.edu/small_farms_livestock/!Poultry&egg.shtml

Quote:
    http://www.flvec.com/escambia/content/UrlView.aspx?id=3125

http://www.myescambia.com/Bureaus/DevelopmentServices/documents/Article3_010.pdf

Quote: Exotic animal. Any member of a species of animal, reptile or bird, warm or cold blooded, that is not indigenous to
    the environs of the local area and/or is not classified or considered as wildlife or farm animals, including, but not
    limited to: camels, emus, llamas, ostriches, fur animals such as mink.

Farm animal. Any animal that customarily is raised and/or bred on farms and has the potential of causing a
    nuisance if not properly maintained, including, but not limited to: dairy animals, poultry, and livestock such as beef
    cattle, bison, goats, horses, sheep, and swine.

Rezone/rezoning. An amendment to the map and/or text of a zoning ordinance to effect a change in the adopted
    zoning district of a designated parcel or land area and which typically involves a single property owner. The decision
    involving an applicant-initiated rezoning is typically considered quasi-judicial in nature, since it is contingent upon
    facts arrived at from distinct alternatives presented at a hearing and can be functionally viewed as policy
    application. However, it is possible to have a county-initiated quasi-judicial rezoning.
    Rezoning, legislative. An amendment to the map and/or text of a zoning ordinance to effect a change in the
    adopted zoning district of designated parcels or land areas of substantial size and which involves numerous property
    owners. The decision involving a county-initiated rezoning is typically considered legislative in nature, since it is a
    comprehensive rezoning of multiple parcels affecting a large portion of the public and can be functionally viewed as
    policy setting. However, it is possible to have an applicant-initiated quasi-judicial rezoning

Setback. The required minimum distance from the street right-of-way line and any other lot line that establishes the
    area within which a structure is allowed to be erected or placed.

Variance. Deviation from the requirements and provisions of the LDC as may be allowed by article 2, the application
    for which is reviewed, and a final determination is made, by the board of adjustment at a quasi-judicial public
    hearing. Note: Establishment or expansion of a use otherwise prohibited shall not be allowed by variance, nor shall a
    variance be used to expand or enlarge upon a nonconforming use, lot or structure if such variance would result in an
    increase in the level of nonconformity.

So not sure depends on your house's zoning- just like Jacksonville I guess different areas of town different rules.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  3. johnebgd1

johnebgd1 New Egg

Feb 13, 2012
    thank you tigres. I think I may be more confused now....lol I will call that number you posted. Much appreciated.

Heres a quote for all you backyard chicken folks.

"Sometimes its easier to beg forgiveness than to get permission." courtesy of the US Navy

4. kjmom23

kjmom23 Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    West Florida
    I live in Escambia County. The law currently states that you can only have "farm" animal and/or livestock if you are zoned agricultural or rural and have a minimum 2 acres of land. Oddly enough if you live in Pensacola city limits, I'm told, it is legal to keep hens. Go figure. Hope that helps.

5. LeelooD

LeelooD Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    NW Florida
    I read the news story about the East Hill guy who is in trouble for letting his hens free range. I was surprised that he could have them at all since I thought everyone was under that Draconian county restriction. I'm with johnebgd1! Don't ask, don't tell!

6. DonOfPensacola

DonOfPensacola New Egg

Apr 12, 2012
    Pensacola, FL
    My neighbors find it better to mind there own.[​IMG] I keep a nice clean coop and nothing to complain about anyways.

7. chickortreat

chickortreat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    I like the way you think! I believe if more folks felt that way, there would be a lot less nosy people out there. Years ago, if you and the neighbor had an issue, you settled it.....verbally, or if need be, knuckle-and-skull in the street. Alas, the days of men are gone now, and all that's left are the panty-waists who live for nothing more than to call and tattle on someone, if for no more than owning chickens. Imagine the rush......getting to turn your neighbor in for owning chickens! Folks have such aspiring lives.... I think it's time folks took it out in the street again.....convince them that minding other folks' business wasn't their calling.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  8. CluckerCam

CluckerCam Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2013
    Pensacola, FL
    I know this is an older thread but it's still being found by google when someone searches for "Escambia County Chicken Laws", etc.

On August 20th, the Escambia county Board of County Commissioners passed our new chicken ordinance for residental zoned areas in the county. Chickens are now legal, the only obsticle that may be in the way would be if you belong to an HOA.

Chicken Ordinances in Escambia County, Florida

Summary

In Escambia County, there are two sets of ordinances about keeping chickens on residential zoned properties, County ordinances and City of Pensacola ordinances.
    ESCAMBIA COUNTY

On August 20, 2013 the Escambia County Board of County Commissioners voted unanimously to amend Part III of the Escambia County Code of Ordinances (1999), the Land Development Code of Escambia County, Florida, Article 6, Section 6.03.01 by adding the possession of live chickens as a permitted accessory use for single-family residential dwellings.

The adopted ordinance states:
    Possession of Live Chickens (Gallus gallus domesticus) Accessory to Single Family Residential Dwellings. The ownership, possession, and raising of live chickens (Gallus gallus domesticus) is a permitted accessory use for all single-family residential dwelling primary uses. Notwithstanding any prohibition of farm animals or minimum lot area established for farm animals, the raising of chickens is allowed in all zoning districts except Pensacola Beach and Perdido Key where single-family residential dwellings are permitted primary uses, provided the following standards must be met:

• The owner or occupant of a lot that is ¼ acre or less in size may not possess more than eight (8) chickens.
    • Roosters are only permitted if kept no less than one-hundred (100) yards from any inhabited residential dwelling other than the dwelling of the owner thereof or the person keeping the same.
    • Between sunrise and sunset, chickens may roam freely in the fenced rear yard of a single lot. During all other times, chickens must be kept in secure coops, pens or enclosures that prevent access from predators.
    • All pens, coops, or enclosures must be a minimum of 10 feet from rear and side property line of a single lot and 20 feet from any residential dwelling located on an adjacent lot.
    • Chickens may not be kept for commercial purposes unless otherwise allowed by zoning.
    You may read the full details about Escambia County’s new chicken ordinance here.
    CITY OF PENSACOLA

On July 16, 2012 the Pensacola City Council amended Ordinances sections 4-2-1, 4-2-3, 4-2-4, 4-2-5 and repealed section 4-2-6(b). This changed the Poultry and Fowl Ordinances to allow:
    • Allows up to 8 chickens on your property
    • Prohibits roosters
    • Allows free ranging on your property
    • Changed the setback from 50 feet to 30 feet of adjacent dwellings, churches, hospitals, schools, public buildings or parks.
    • Prohibits keeping poultry for sale, unless allowed by zoning.
    • Prohibits slaughtering of poultry
    You may read the full details about the City of Pensacola’s new Poultry and Fowl ordinances here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by