Escape artist

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by meowoui, Sep 30, 2015.

1. meowoui

meowoui Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2013
    Beaverton
    We have three leghorns that we took a clipped a wing a piece to stop them from flying over the fence, when that did
    not help we went back and clipped that wing more thinking we did not clip enough off the first time. Well I saw our biggest
    one walking the fence this AM, anyone have any suggestions on what else we can do? If they get over the fence and
    no one sees the hen that hen can become road kill since we are close to the street. We have thought of putting up some
    kind of wire that comes back our way (Like the way the top of the fence in a jail is) to stop from going over, of course it
    wouldn't be razor sharp or barbed.

Thanks
    Karen

2. You could get some plastic mesh to put over the top, something like one of these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can get it at Lowes, Menards, The Home Depot, and other hardware/home improvement stores.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  3. meowoui

Aug 11, 2013
    Beaverton
    ok, we do have that at different areas of the yard. Will try to see if it helps out.

Thank you
    Karen

4. Your welcome! Hope it helps!

5. rockriver

rockriver Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2015
    Raise the fence you can buy wire 2foot high nail the bottom six inches to the top of the post slope the rest towards them they shouldn't get over it and if she does get to the top it will be unstable and she should end up falling back into the pen

6. meowoui

Aug 11, 2013
    Beaverton
    Thank you for your help.

7. chicknmom

chicknmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2013
    I am so frustrated! Have had chickens for 3.5 years, but recently have a few that are repeatedly escaping their fenced area. The fencing is 8 feet high AND I have clipped their wings (one wing each). I am thinking about somehow tying lead fishing weights to their legs because I am at my wits end! They escape 7+ times a day. They cannot get underneath the fencing. What else can I do? And ideas???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by