Escape artists - repeat offenders

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicknmom, Apr 12, 2016.

1. chicknmom

chicknmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2013
    I am so frustrated! Have had chickens for 3.5 years, but recently have a few that are repeatedly escaping their fenced area. The fencing is 8 feet high AND I have clipped their wings (one wing each). I am thinking about somehow tying lead fishing weights to their legs because I am at my wits end! They escape 7+ times a day. They cannot get underneath the fencing. What else can I do? Any ideas???

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  2. pattyhen

pattyhen Chicks Ducks oh my

Apr 20, 2007
    I would clip both wings. It took both wings clipped to ground my isa brown chicken. Good luck.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Pic(s) of fenced area please?

Are they landing on the top of fence before going over?
    Are they launching right off the ground to go over......
    .....or is there something else they are landing on first as a 'step up' so to speak?

4. chicknmom

Nov 30, 2013
    The area does have huge Douglas fir trees in it, but even the lowest branches are waaaay up. So I don't think they have a 'stepping stone. And seeing as I have never caught them in the act, I am not sure if they are pausing on top of the mesh for a second - it is pretty soft and floppy and flimsy (the top section of fence is vinyl mesh which I added above the metal fence to try to contain them), though, so I doubt it.

5. chicknmom

Nov 30, 2013
    Oh? I have always heard that you should only clip one wing to unbalance them, otherwise they fly okay with the stubs. Thanks for the suggestion - it could be worth a try.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    OhOK...you've covered what I was going to suggest....don't know what to tell you, my run is covered with mesh.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by