1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Escape Artists!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by oherin, Mar 26, 2011.

1. oherin

oherin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    My chicks are pecking away at their cardboard brooder. I have 8 EE - around 3 wks old. The walls are reinforced, so I am not worried about them getting out. However, is this normal; are they bored? I think they are ok space wise - 2.5 ft per bird.

2. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Bored, hot, overcrowded or just pesky. lol Ours started flying out and running around the house so I had to clip their wings. Maybe give them some toys or more room?

3. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Mine are in a wire dog crate on top of another 3ft tall crate and jump out the second I open the door. I think they just get bored.

4. oherin

oherin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    I expanded the brooder by attaching another box. I also turned down the heat. They seem happier with the added room - more scratching around, dust bathing, chest bumping (cockrel anyone?). However, the wall pecking is still going on.

Hopefully, their coop will be completed this week and I will place the brooder (with heat) in there.

5. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    They are just being like all babies...curious testing their boundaries. Probably looking for u to get some petting and treats too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by