Escape Chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by paynemom, Jun 9, 2008.

1. paynemom

paynemom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2008
    Robinson, TX
    I am wondering if anyone has had success clipping their chickens' wings and them not getting into the neighbor's yard? We have our 6 chickens free ranging in the back yard and also have a pen for them. They have been getting out and it's so embarrassing to hear the doorbell ring at 6 am and have to chase them down. THey have everything they need, just like to run away first thing in the morning and come back later. We don't want to be bad neighbors, so I'm gonna clip wings today. Anyone had luck with this? Otherwise, I'm gonna have to fence the top of the pen and lock them away all day and that makes me sad? Suggestions? One wing or both? I am getting desperate!
    2 RIRs
    3 Buff Orp
    1 BR, all 16-21 wks old.:mad:

2. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Lol!! Guess I'm lucky Miss Chook can't fly a lick. She has wandered enough just walking!!!! If yours are that good at getting off the ground, I'd think about clipping both wings. Who knows?? MAYBE you'll only have to do it the once for them to get the message-- "Stay Home!!" though I wouldn't count on it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I clipped one wing on my Leghorns and added a volleyball net to the top of the fence and they didn't leave after that.

Just topping the pen might help.

4. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* What a great idea, SC!! Volley ball nets-- check!

5. sadieH5836

sadieH5836 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2007
    Egg Harbor
    My Jo-Jo is an escape artist. she gets out of the run everyday. She is the only one without her wings clipped.

Clip only one wing it throws them off balance so they can't get hight. If you clip both wings they just have to flap harder but they will still get over the fence.

Ps I'll do something about Jo soon. The only one she bothers is my husband and I think its fun to watch him run around the yard trying to catch her. You see I found out that if you just throw a treat in the run she can get herself back in there for the treat. No running envolved.

6. paynemom

paynemom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2008
    Robinson, TX
    Ok, so I clipped both wings and it worked! I know cause they are no longer roosting on top of their coop! What a relief it is! It was so easy and quick. Didn't hurt them at all and you can't even see that they're clipped. Poor Dot is still walking around with only one butt feather![​IMG]

7. ZepChick

ZepChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    coos bay OR
    I have the same problem with a 15 week old Campine. Could you please tell me how to clip their wing(s)?

8. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    soccer goal nets work too.. they are a bit wider.

and as for the PP with the husband that runs around catching JO..

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] ha ha I couldnt stop laughing

9. porteryork

porteryork Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    Rosie the hamburg is an unbelieveable Houdini. We put deer neting across the top of the run's fencing and now she stays in. Deer neting is cheap and lightweight.

Michelle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by