escape goats

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by wynedot55, May 28, 2008.

1. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    my goats are escape artists.the can climb over/jump a 5ft tall chainlink fence.an im lucky that only 1 gets out.an stays close to the others.does yalls goats get out alot.

2. bluebirdfarm

bluebirdfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

i let mine range freely as we have 108 acres in the stix, and no DOGS . but yes they can get out of any fencing except welded wire cattle panels and then LOL they can get their head stuck in those !!! they are funny to watch

3. wynedot55

Mar 28, 2007
    ive got 400acs.with 250acs pasture but not fenced for goats.so i keep them in a good pen.

4. bluebirdfarm

how long have you had these goats ? mine are pretty close to the house usually , but all goats are different in how they range , if you have a lot oif food they will stay where it is! they love to eat !!!! ha ha . I have tennesse fainters , what kind do you have ???

5. wynedot55

Mar 28, 2007
    i had goats for awhile 18yrs ago.i just got back into them a few days ago.my goats are grade boar goats.

6. bluebirdfarm

ok , well they are pretty big then , can see how u wood have to have a bigger fence , have you tried electric ? mine like to rub on it !!!!! LOL , my old billie would go back and forth on the wire >HA HA

7. wynedot55

Mar 28, 2007
    i hate hotwires.used them 27yrs with the dairy.an i wont put them in use again.

8. bluebirdfarm

sorry , just a suggestion , u have them close to homw now , if you don't have dogs , i would let the free range abit , did you work in a goat dairy i=ro cow >??

9. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    I heard a cute saying about goats, "If it'll hold water, it'll hold goats!" AHHHHHHH, so true, they are truly little escape artists.

10. wynedot55

Mar 28, 2007
    yes milked cows for 27yrs.may let them range some when they get to know me better.right now i cant get them to eat feed.guess they have to much to eat lolol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by