Escaped but injured

weswhite01

Hatching
11 Years
Jun 27, 2008
I am little embarrassed to ask this question but I have not been able to find the answer in the limited research I did. Will feathers grow back in an area once they have been plucked?

One of our girls survived an attack by a predator but lost a significant number of feathers around her middle. The damage was done by either a fox or a fisher. I've seen both after the birds and have lost a few good layers this year.

The bald spot looks as though the feathers were plucked clean. Other than the lack of feathers, she seems to be recovering well. The attack occurred 10 days ago and she is almost walking normally again.

We would hate to lose her. I am afraid if they don't grow back she will succumb to the cold this winter. The coop is well insulated but still gets below 0 F on very cold nights.

We had the same thing happen with a coon attack, the feathers did grow back but not until the next molt. Glad she made it through!!

Yes they will grow back. I am dealing with the same thing with several of mine right now. It might take a little bit, but they will.

Glad she escaped!
ya.gif

Shelly

Back
Top Bottom