1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Escaped Chicken- Missing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hanekins, Jan 24, 2017.

1. hanekins

hanekins Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2016
    I am so upset right now.

This morning, I let my dog out to potty. What I didn't anticipate was that there was a hole in the run for my Ameracauna hens. They slipped out of the hole, and my dog spotted them and ran towards them. One of the hens flew up onto the privacy fence. When I turned around from putting my dog in the house, she was gone.

There are some sparse woods on that side of the fence, and I searached for her for about twenty minutes (because I had to leave for work) and found no sign of her.

I am so sad because I just got these hens and I already love them. The remaining Ameracauna keeps calling for her.

I'm hoping she'll return tonight or in the morning when she feels it's "safe".

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Chickens usually return unless they get lost in tangled brush. The remaining hens generating the chicken sounds will definitely attract her back.
    Let us know how things are by evening.
    WISHING YOU BEST[​IMG]

3. hanekins

Jul 15, 2016
    Thank you so much. I'm hoping she returns. She's a beautiful bird.

I'm at work now (a teacher). I'm also a coach so I have a game tonight but I'm going to try and run home before the game and check. I also don't want all the runs unsecured until 9:30 when I get home.

4. cavemanrich

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    She should return well before it gets dark. Not sure where you are, but around here it gets dark at 5 PM now. The chickens all jump into coops well before that, like 4 PM or so. You may need to go look on the other side of the fence for her also. She may be pacing back and forth looking for an opening. Chickens do not always know that they need to fly over to return home. They have no hesitation to fly over anything when escaping.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  5. hanekins

Jul 15, 2016
    I will do that, thank you. I'm so worried about her.

I had a chicken escape once over the fence and it was exactly as you described-she couldn't figure out how to get back over.

This girl must have hidden herself FAST because she was completely gone in about a minute. Her friend kept calling for her and she would never respond.

6. hanekins

Jul 15, 2016
    [​IMG]

Buttercup and Petunia are reunited! I found Petunia pacing the fence. She is SUPER flighty, so we had an epic jaunt through the woods until I chased her into the garage and then threw her into the house.

Then I repaired the hole in the fence because Buttercup had also gotten out, but was luckily still in the fenced in yard.

7. cavemanrich

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    All is well that ENDS WELL [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by