Escaped from brooder

Thistledown

In the Brooder
Feb 24, 2016
Nova Scotia
In an unexpected and unfortunate incident this morning, my 2 week old Silkie escaped the brooder. The door to the room was open, so he could be anywhere. I have been on my hands and knees with a flashlight and locked up my cats. Has anyone had this happen before? Is there a way to lure in a chick? I'm pretty desperate at this point.

They'll usually gravitate toward the sound of other chicks peeping. If you can't hear it peeping, the cats may have already dealt with the problem.

Last summer a BYC member lost a chick out of their brooder and suspected the dog probably ate it.

A couple hours later, from us urging for the search to continue, the chick was discovered alive and well snuggled in the dirty clothes basket in the boy's bedroom closet.

There's an even chance your chick has found a "nest" somewhere. Keep looking.

Phew! Thanks so much for your fast responses. The ordeal is over. I moved the brooder to the kitchen and indeed the other chicks peeps got a response from him. He was stuck under the dishwasher, which I had to remove before extricating him with the help of kitchen tongs, a flashlight, a spatula, a shoehorn, and a hockey stick.
Wow, some lessons were learned here today!

That's another amazing "lost chick" story! You should have taken photos!

Congrats on finding your chick!
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom