Escaped Hen!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Brandyberry_Chick, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Brandyberry_Chick

Brandyberry_Chick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2009
    I got my girls home yesterday and one of my Isa Browns dissapeared last night when I checked on them. She appeared today outside of the coop. Now I would like to admit when we got them home yesterday she was my favorite so I was kind of upset and then excited all in under 12 hours. I tried to get her in this morning but she wouldn't have it. (She is very hard to catch). I tossed some feed out for her and she seems happy and is staying close to the coop. I would just like to get her at night due to predators and so she can get water. Should I put water out for her until she decides to join the herd? Will she ever want to go into the coop? Where I got them from had like 30 chickens...not 6... so i'm thinkin maybe she was lower on the totem pole and couldn't get into the coop. I don't know but HELP I don't want to lose my chicken!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    When you bring new chickens in, you need to lock them in the coop and run for several days, maybe a week, so they learn where home is.

I don't know what your set-up is. If you can lock the others in the coop and put food and water in the run, she might go in on her own. Or if you could lock some or all in a wire pen in the run or coop, she might go in to join the others.

Another option may be to see where she is roosting at night and capture her when she is sleeping.

However you get her, she does need to be locked in the coop for a few days.

Good luck!

3. rainbowgardens

rainbowgardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central Virginia
    I have a few that seemed reluctant to go into the coop at night. I'm sure it was the pecking order thing. They were roosting on top of the coop.
    I had to go out every evening for a few weeks and shoo them down with the rake. Sometimes I had to take them in and sit them on the roosts. They're finally going in by themselves now. I guess the evil rake scared them.

4. Brandyberry_Chick

Brandyberry_Chick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2009
    They are all locked into the coop and run...not sure how she got out...i'm going to lure her in with grapes I think! lol thanks everyone

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by