Escaped Hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by thorper1, Nov 16, 2011.

1. thorper1

thorper1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    I wasn’t sure where to put this thread so it’s going in as a managing my flock issue. I recently added 3 hens to the existing 2 chickens I have (one rooster and one hen). I have a smaller coop so I usually try to let the chickens out during the day so they can get some exercise if the weather permits. They were all coming back to the coop for a few days when on the 4th or 5th day, two of the new hens did not return. I thought maybe a predator got them, but my husband saw the two of them running around in our woods the other day. It is starting to get cold here so I would love to find a way to catch them. I have put out food for them, but they don’t eat it.

So a couple of questions:
    1. How do I capture them?
    2. Is it possible my rooster is the problem? He is not very friendly and he is very confrontational. Or could it be the other hens? I am just confused because one of the new hens has adjusted really well with the existing hen and rooster. Not sure if this matters, but the 2 that ran off are both easter eggers while the two that come back each night are Australorps.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much.

2. Peachesbabychick

Peachesbabychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, as you probably know, chickens roost and sleep at night. Try going out after sunset with a flashlight and a box or something to put them in, and you will probably be able to find them easily. They won't run from you either because they can't see and they are asleep.

Good Luck!

3. thorper1

Apr 28, 2011
    Thanks. I will give this a try. We have 2 acres of woods so I hope I can find them and when I do, I hope I can reach them. They are smaller so I just don't want the cold to get them. I love this idea though - thanks again!

4. JenniferNgo

JenniferNgo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    Texas
    Quote:Agreed. They turn into zombies. Its the best way to catch flighty birds

5. Peachesbabychick

Peachesbabychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Your welcome! They are as could as found. Keep us updated!

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    When you find them, you'll want to keep them (and your other birds) locked up in their coop/run for a few days to remind them where "home" is.

7. thorper1

Apr 28, 2011
    Any ideas on why they didn't come back? These 2 are a little smaller than the others and I hate for them to get picked on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by