Escaped Male Lady Amherst

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by janen_33, Sep 4, 2010.

1. janen_33

janen_33 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2009
    Hello,

Our male Lady Amherst (2 y/o) got out of our pen and flew into our wetland area. He's been in there for about 5 hours (I'm pretty sure he's still in there because I heard him whistling for his mate). Anyway, we're leaving the pen open tonight (we left our female in the pen, but put her in a cage) - my husband says if he's going to come back, he'll do it at night (I really hope so)!

Does anyone have ANY positive experience with the male returning for his mate??

I feel just awful!!

Any words of wisdom (other than, 'you should have made sure you shut the pen', would be greatly appreciated! [​IMG]

Thank you,
    Jane

2. SteveP

SteveP Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2010
    Saint Joseph MO
    I've had a couple of oops moments with some of our younger peacocks and the kids at the farm, did just what you said and only had one not show back up. I am hoping for the best for you though, if not is he hand tame at all?? If so you may be able to get in there after him with some food and a net maybe, make sure you strap on the rubber boots. Until the morning [​IMG] [​IMG]

Steve

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  3. wpalmisano

wpalmisano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    He'll be back when he gets hungry or lonely. Unless some critter grabs him. You have to get him in the first day or two.

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

My friend just lost her RG male... twice. He dug out around a brick, then she found him a day later roaming the yard. She put him back, filled in the hole, put a bigger brick and another one. Little turd still got out a week later. 2 days went past and then neighbor called her because he was walking their yard..... so you can get them back, although mine normally don't......

5. Quail's Hollar Farm

Quail's Hollar Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Pheasants are wild birds, from my experence with them they usually don't wish to be caged. For the most part though they usually come back to their mate at dusk. I personally never lost a bird and have been lucky so far but i'm sure I'll be on here one day saying the same thing that you're saying!
    If you get him back you may consider timming his wings, not that that will prevent him from escaping but at least he cant fly then, if you do he'll only be able to run away from you at lightning speeds!
    Good Luck!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  6. janen_33

janen_33 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2009
    Thank you for your replies! It's been 2 nights now and we haven't seen nor heard from our male...I thought for sure our dogs would have caught his scent by now, which tells me he hasn't come into the yard and that worries me. He's been cage raised all his life so I don't think he knows how to really 'hunt' for his food (other than scratching in the dirt for bugs in our aviary) - so I'm hoping hunger brings him home! [​IMG]

Hey wpalmisano, what happens if we don't get him in the first couple of days?

Also, I thought for sure the female would call for him but she hasn't, which is strange because she does it when they're in the aviary and she can't see him...anyway, I think tomorrow I will put on my waders and search for him in the wetlands.

I'll keep you posted!

Thanks!
    Jane

7. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    We got an exotic pheasant back here that has been on the run for two weeks. He had gone about a mile away though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by