escaped pullet...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jtakacs, Nov 18, 2013.

1. jtakacs

jtakacs Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2013
    4 hens here and only 3 weeks into it but this is the second time my youngest (lightest) "flew the coop".

I'm think she either fluttered onto the coop then fluttered onto the fence and jumped into my yard. Last time she went into the neighbors yard...

I think I have to enclose the top this weekend... ugh. Was hoping not to do that.

Hopefully it wasn't a cat that chased her around... she seemed normal and looked fine.

She was waiting at the run door when I got home..

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    So, is she okay? She's back?

Usually when a pullet finds out that freedom does not include all of her mates, and it's very lonely out there all by herself, she will give up the quest for open spaces.

If I were you, I would go ahead and make the pen more secure. If a pullet can get out, a predator can get in.

3. jtakacs

Oct 21, 2013
    Yeah... that's what I was thinking... I've also thought about letting them all free range while at the office...

I think she just flew out and was fine. We have multiple cats in the hood but the only one I'm afraid of is mine... she's 95% indoor and is fascinated. After I put the girls away she was standing over the cool...

I'll probably let her out, let the hens out and supervise.. see where bit goes from there.

4. jtakacs

Oct 21, 2013
    Coop not cool.

5. jtakacs

Oct 21, 2013
    Geez.... showed up for lunch and all four girls were in the front yard this time... somehow my gate opened.

Clearly settling in tho. Took me 30 seconds to guide them back into the run...

Never realized how important chicken security was!

6. jtakacs

Oct 21, 2013
    At least they got some free ranging in!

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Took advantage of the opportunity real fast didn't they, at least they know where home and dinner is.

8. jtakacs

Oct 21, 2013
    Dumb and smart all at once!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by