Escapee vs 6 dogs......

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by KDbeads, Oct 11, 2009.

1. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Well.... Dinner somehow managed to flip his dog kennel over and force himself through the holes in the bottom last night, at least that's what it looked like. For all I know an idiot neighbor set him loose.

Anyway..... He was running around the neighborhood all day today and we couldn't catch but we figured he'd either rejoin the stray flock a few blocks down or reappear in the morning by the coop. Our coop and run are separated from the other half of the back yard by a chain link fence that is nearly dog proof at the moment, we call it the garden area..
    He did neither. Instead he was milling around in the back yard no where near the coop and when we let the dogs out after their supper it was mayhem. We didn't see him because it was already dark, we check before sending out the dogs because the 90 pound monster puppy eats doves as well as stray chickens that find our back yard. Well, we didn't see anything. 3 minutes later the dogs are fighting, we go out, break it up and remove a bird from Tesla's mouth. We didn't think it was Dinner until we got him inside and rinsed off. He's shook up but should survive. Have him in a plastic crate in the living room right now where he's terrorizing the cats.

Honestly I'm in shock that he's alive and now have proof to hubby why we built the coop and run as secure as we did. He didn't think Tesla would kill this big of a rooster [​IMG]

So now we face the choice of going ahead and processing him or wait until he's healed up and process him..... We weren't equipped tonight to have done it so we held off....

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Maybe this is a sign. Tesla is meant for greater things than dinner. I'd grant him a reprieve.

3. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Quote:I agree [​IMG]

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    So now we face the choice of going ahead and processing him or wait until he's healed up and process him..... We weren't equipped tonight to have done it so we held off....

If you're going to process him I'd do it tomorrow. It's really hard to process animals you've invested a lot of time in. We've done critters I've bottle raised and a few that I've had to doctor up and nurse back to health and I can tell you the closer the period of intensive care is to d-day the worse it is.​

5. SurprisingWoman

SurprisingWoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    South Weber, UT
    Tesla is the dog, Dinner is the rooster.

I also happen to think Dinner needs a reprieve and a new name. [​IMG]

6. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Wait until long after he heals. The meat is now bruised badly and would not be very good.

7. KDbeads

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    No reprieve from me..... Dinner's a bad roo with my hens, beats them up really bad and loves to terrorize them. He's attacked me at least 4 times. Though if I find someplace for him to go that's a different story.

He's still here this morning but hasn't ate or drank since before the incident... May have to cull him anyway. We'll see.
    Also... we aren't denying medical care, wounds have been cleaned and treated. He's in a secure place to heal up if we decide to go that route, not a fan of bruised chicken either [​IMG]

8. KDbeads

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Well..... Dinner is still kicking and really scaring my cats [​IMG] Wounds are closing over nicely and he's eating like a pig [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by