escapees!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by squirtnlex, Aug 8, 2007.

1. squirtnlex

squirtnlex Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2007
    Pa
    my chickens, 6 hens (5 Rhode Island Reds, 1 Leghorn) and 1 Leghorn Rooster keep escaping our rather large enclosure. My husband thinks they are tryiing to escape from the Rooster who is now trying to breed them.....
    they should be old enough now to start laying eggs. we put them in at night in a small coop, and let them out every day into a pen for them. a friend came and clipped off a bit of one wing, but the next day they were out again. they can fly!!!
    help!!

2. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    I'm sorry, I'm a bit slow tonight! What was the question?

3. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Quote:She's asking how to keep the chickens from flying the coop.

How high is the run walls? You may have to cover the top.

4. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    if they are flying over, clip one wing. that will stop them. Don't clip the feathers so close to meat that it causes them to bleed.

5. squirtnlex

Apr 15, 2007
    Pa
    okay, sorry, yes, my problem is the chickens are flying out of the coop. we did clip one wing and the next day, they were out again. sometimes, they fly and roost in the trees! i guess the fence is 4 feet high, and the area they are in is too big to fence the top. thanks for you help.

6. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Quote:As long as you have 4' high walls they WILL get out. Looks like you're chickens will be free rangers if you can't get higher walls or cover the top. Even if you clip the wings correctly they can still get over 4'.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
  7. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    How big is they're run, squirtnlex? You'd be surprised how big of a space can be covered with various things. They're might be a way.

8. squirtnlex

Apr 15, 2007
    Pa
    [​IMG]
    Thanks, it is a huge area....like 50x50 feet? maybe bigger, no smaller.....
    im okay with them gettin out, they like the fresh scratch outside of the pen.
    thanks!

9. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    My run has a 4ft fence .If clipping one wing doesn't throw them off balance enough like it is supposed to, clip the other also. I have had to do this after clipping one, and if they are clipped close enough, they can't get the lift they need to clear 4 ft. I haven't had any escape after clipping both wings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by