escapees

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by stargazingmommy, Jun 15, 2011.

1. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    I redid the run, sectioning it off from my garden. I buried the fence 6". Its 4ft tall. There is one gap to small for them, a d its blocked with bricks. There are paving bricks all along the edge of the fence.
    They keep escaping. A pekin a.d runner.
    I find them laying next to the chicken run staring inside like please let me in. I just evicted them from the coop about a week ago.
    The ducks have a pool. The run they are in is where the coop used to be. They have an insulated dog house that they do use.
    I am considering hiding a camera to find out how they are getting out. In my paranoia I want to say my idiot neighbor is unlatching the gate, letting them out, putting the latch back on.
    Maybe they are super ducks

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    that would be AWESOME if they were super ducks lol. and is your neighbor that rude gosh.

3. stargazingmommy

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    Quote:My neighbor is that much of a jerk.
    He reported us for smoking pot, we got investigated and cleared. He has a meltdown if the sprinkler water touches the fence, I asked him how he manages to control mother nature.
    He has a fit if anyone parks in front of his house. He built a 2nd illegal drive way that he has to drive over the curb to use. He built a wood ramp/step type thing because driving over the curb jarred his truck to much. City told him no go, removed the ramp told him not to use it. Now with that gone, people are parking in front of his house again haha.
    He wants me to move my lilac bush thats on our side of the fence, and NOT hanging over on to his side, because his camper does kind of hang over the fence a bit(has an awning type thing that sticks out several inches) and hits my bush(bush is huge, more a tree, reaches up to the roof of our house). I'm frankly not worried about the bush. It's survived many different assaults. He doesn't want it to scratch his camper. I told him as long as he keeps his camper on his side of the fence then it won't scratch, because I ensure my tree is on my side.
    He watches us through the cracks in the 10 ft fence between our yards, so I planted some already HUGE fast growing bamboo about 8"from the fence in my backyard...he threw a fit, cuz he can't see us anymore. We had planned on putting up some of those solid pre-made fence panels, but the city wouldn't give us a permit as there is already a fence on the property line.

until the pot incident, in order to keep the peace, we pretty much did what he asked. Moved the sprinkler, made sure our car wasn't any past the invisible property line he extends out to the street, even when far from it if he asked us to move we would.
    Discussed the planting of the tree before we dug the hole and got his approval on the location(the lilac was given to me as a small thing in a bucket when I graduated nursing school 12 yrs ago, it's been at my parents till now).
    We tried to be good neighbors, and I'm not sure what happened to make him hate us.

after the pot incident though I decided no more. He can screw himself. He told us(it's never an ask) to move our car a couple weeks ago, I said no and slammed the door.
    We had company that parked in front of his house, I didn't ask them to move.
    He has drawn a line in the dirt of the roadside planter(the easement area in front of the houses) where his property line extends out and stops mowing at that line.
    It's stupid petty things. I requested the neighborhood resource officer meet with us and him to try to resolve this, he refused.

After the pot thing I did file a complaint with his employer, the sheriff. They started an internal affairs review and have determined he is harassing us, and frequently using his position as a sheriffs employee in the process(comments such as I work for the sheriff, I can do this because of my work at the sheriff).
    last time he demanded something from me I said "You know, I'm not one of your inmates you can demand things from. I was raised with please and thank you being the norm and I'm much more likely to agree to your unreasonable requests if you use them." then I slammed the door.
    He's a corrections officer with the county jail, employed by the sheriffs office.

We refuse to move. I know he has said multiple times he is moving soon. I can only hope.

In the meantime...I just make sure things are in order at my house. My chickens are quiet, the ducks are not but are quieter than his monster trained attack dogs(according to him they are attack dogs).
    I make sure my yard doesn't smell. I till the duck run every 1-2 days to keep the droppings and smell under control. I turn the dirt in the chicken run every 2-3 days.
    I have fly traps x4 through out the runs.
    I did have animal control out a week ago, again, who once again determined that my animals are well cared for, seem happy, and there is no odor. despite being "over limit" they said they aren't code enforcement but see no reason for them to contact them, as they are only there for animal welfare.
    whew...sorry for the book...he just makes me so mad and I tend to rant a lot when it comes to him.
    /rant

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have locks on the doors to the ducks' night shelter. This is in part because I have been told raccoons are good at unlatching things, but also because in the past I have heard stories of people doing unkind things. Perhaps you can invest in a few locks.

If the ducks are not getting helped out, look for any place in the fence that flexes. My escape artists will walk along the fence, pushing it with one foot, looking for places where the fence slides out a bit. Then they will push under the fence.

Last week Zwei pushed herself under the four inch gap under a gate. Zehn found she's strong enough to squeeze through a gate that was held shut by gravity (not a very light gate).

5. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Quote:2x. My ducks also walk along the fence pushing at it until a spot opens up. I'm sorry about your neighbor... I thought mine was bad.

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    My goodness sounds like the neighbour from you know where..

You know if you were serious about recording them.. i would try that since you have throughly checked, it may give you the answer!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  7. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    just buy a cheap webcam ($20) And face your computer somehow out the window towards the duck pen..if it will show it. and then just at night or whenever start recording and fast forward through the blank parts until you see suspicious activity! I hate neighbors like that!

8. Stormy Autumn

Stormy Autumn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Florida
    When do they escape? Is it at night or when you aren't at home?

If you don't want to bother setting up a webcam or don't know how, you could also try spying.

9. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    What breed are they? Do you have a top to the run or can they just fly over??

10. stargazingmommy

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    Quote:my laptop has a built in webcam...May have to try that on my next night off.

and just went out to check them, and found them in the shed, laying there staring at the chickens...I walked to the edge of the porch said "hey dingbats what the [email protected]@@ do you think you are doing?"
    Doc stood up, turned towards me, fluffed her feathers up, and yelled. and started marching towards the duck yard, with D'artagnan right on her tail.
    The fence is buried everywhere except at the gate, and the gate is tight to the ground, hard to move. I stuck them back in the run, and put big paving stones along the bottom of the gate. see if that stops the little jerks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by