Escaping Chicks!!! Too early for outside?

mhinkey

Hatching
Apr 20, 2016
Vancouver, WA
We have 4, 4 week old chickens. We have a coop already outside that they spend most of the day in and at night they come to the garage where they have a box and heat light. We've continuously build taller boxes and they keep getting out and roosting on the ladder above their box. My question would be if it's too early to put them in the coop full time? Temps get down to about mid 40's right now. I would definitely put their light outside for them in the coop and turn it on at night.

My chicks are outside right now at 3 weeks old. They have a cave made from a lectro-kennel pad on a wooden frame to pop under if they get cold. Some people start brooding this way in the coop from day one, even with freezing temps. I would, but my coop isn't at my house and I like to keep a closer eye on them the first few weeks.

Those guys are huge for 4 week olds! Goodness. A chickens natural instinct is to roost by perching. I had this same problem and so my suggestion is; take the tallest box you have and make holes on either side. Slide a stick in the holes, going all the way across their box. That way you satisfy their roosting needs and keep them in the box. Let me know how it goes if you try it!

Yeah, those twerps are older than four weeks! The must have been a couple weeks old already when you got them!

They do not belong in a brooder any longer! That box must be like a small jail cell to them! I sure hope you have a coop ready for them to move into! They no longer need heat, as well.

You guys think they are older?!
1f62c.png
They did not inform me of their age when we bought them. I assumed they may have been a week old when we brought them home. They still have fuzz on them, and not completely fully feathered yet.

Yeah, those twerps are older than four weeks! The must have been a couple weeks old already when you got them!

They do not belong in a brooder any longer! That box must be like a small jail cell to them! I sure hope you have a coop ready for them to move into! They no longer need heat, as well.

I've googled and looked up photos of 4 week old chicks, and mine are relatively the same size. It really might be the picture that makes them look huge and their box tiny
1f62c.png

Thank you for the reassurance everyone. This is our first time raising chickens and despite all the research I was still so nervous to put them outside too early. Our coop just about ready for them! They will be moving outside!

Back
Top Bottom