Escaping quail! Saturday night escapades!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by cloudswinger, May 3, 2009.

1. cloudswinger

cloudswinger Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2008
    Last night I came home a little later than usual and checked on the birds. One pen which normally had 7 birds was empty! So I tell my husband, who grabs a flashlight, and the whole family goes quail hunting in the dark. He was the finder, the kids and I were the catchers. We actually manage to find all 7! The kids thought it was so much fun. The little stinkers manage to lay some eggs around the yard, and now there are little sand pits everywhere too.

2. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    You're very fortunate to have found them all. [​IMG]

3. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Lol. The guy that lives near me said that he had around 100 coturnix escape one day, and he and a friend just walked around the yard picking birds up, lol. Said they didn't even try to get away!

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I had 3 get out once, two of them were just hanging out in the barn, like "bout time you got here!", the other one had evidently gotten spooked out of the barn by one of the chickens, the dog found her about 2 months later, and she had just died!! But when mine got out, my 4 y/o was the one that 'caught' them. Very easy to catch, they just sit there and wait for you!

5. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I had a Bobwhite get out once. Tried everything to catch that little bugger. Tired off and on all day to catch him but the dog scared him up into the dogwood.

The next day, there he was right in front of the pen. No net, no nothing. If I didn't do something either the dog or my cat was gonna have him for breakfast! Good thing it was early in the morning cuz my neighbors would have gotten a show!

Off came my shirt and I nabbed the little bugger!!

It wasn't like the day the fire ants got me. This time I had a bra on!!! [​IMG]

6. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I wish mine were that easy!!!!

Cricket my jumbo brown roo in the winter flew away so i grinned thinking "i'll just walk over and pick you up you lil escapee!" nope...he shot straight up in the air and flew a few football fields away intot eh neighbors forest of evergreens/foxes/feral cats/dogs [​IMG]

I gave up.

Got up the next day took my dog out to potty and i hear happy coturnix noises behind me. On the sidewalk I turn around and theres cricket in my backyard on my porch walking on teh path towards me happily eating blades of grass sticking up through the snow as he goes [​IMG] I just hurried up and put my (hunting dog) back in the potty area and snatched up DumbDumb Cricket [​IMG]

Just becareful for any of you all interested in tibetans and tuxedos, they ARE very skiddish, and even with clipped wings can get away amazingly fast. PUt it this way ...next purchase i need IS A NET!!!
    LOL

I just last night lost a tuxedo again well didnt loose it, but lost it out of the pen and had to chase it down...mind you this birds wings are pinnoned because it's a repeat offender... and yet still it's a pro at getting away [​IMG]

My A & Ms used to do that too but they are getting calmer now and just kind of walk to the back when i come in. My browns NOrmally just stand there and chortle at me until i feed them but nooo tibes and tuxes is the end of the world when i put my hand in there [​IMG]

7. cloudswinger

cloudswinger Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2008
    Huh, I have one Tibetan, who we named Fred, since he's red, and turns out he's a she. But we (really my 4 yo) take her out all the time and plays with her, mostly inside. She's not skittish at all, after being played with all the time.

Catching them was surprisingly quick, it only took about half an hour.

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    My tuxedos were brooded in the bathroom in a fish tank, so they were sort of used to someone being around a lot. They have been outside now for at least a month and only one has gotten out. When that one got out it just sat there on the floor like the others do until I went and picked it up [​IMG] My A&M's are big babies, just like the jumbo browns I have, they are not skittish at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by