Esophagus leaking due to pecking; matted feathers.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ColoradoSLV, Jul 3, 2016.

1. ColoradoSLV

ColoradoSLV Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2016
    Hi, everyone.

I brought home a really overpecked chicken that I wasn't sure would survive the six-mile drive. (I'm definitely keeping the flocks mentioned in my introductory post separated, 'cept this bird really looked like it needed the items I had in the building with my flock.)

She's probably a year/year-and-half old, breed unknown, and I bathed the blood, etc., where the pecking had taken place...and found water and yogurt leaking out of the side of the bird's neck! Her esophagus was leaking through a hole about the size of a pencil point. I'd earlier given her probiotics, electrolytes, and sugar water along with the aforementioned yogurt and some Dumor Chick Starter (all I had).

To 'fix' the hole I had some Liquid Band-Aid, but not knowing if it'd sting, I removed some of the 'stick' from some medical tape and used that. It didn't seal too well, but what a trouper that chicken is!

The chicken has gotten some of her energy back - enough to jump out of the tub and stroll around my apartment!

More later - I have to volunteer for the next three hours, but if anyone has any recommendations, I sure would like to hear them!

Thanks!

ColoradoSLV

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    With a wound like that keeping it clean and monitoring for signs of infection is best. Apply a compress of warm water and Epsom salts 1-2 times daily. You can use an antibacterial ointment if you like Many wounds of that kind will eventually granulate in. However, it may have healed with a permanent stoma (hole)in the side of her neck,. If so some minor surgery could likely repair it. Even if not repaired it would be unlikely to be life-threatening. She should be kept separate as long as it is present, as the other birds are very likely to pick at the leaking stoma.

And welcome to BYC :)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  3. ColoradoSLV

Jul 1, 2016
    Thanks for the Fourth of July reply!

I've got the Epsom salts and will pick up the anti-bacterial. '

She's a sweet bird and even laid a (found broken) egg yesterday. She's still not moving too fast and spends a lot of time sleeping, but that may be due to the blood loss -- I think she's lost a lot. :-(

Off to the store...and have a Happy 4th!

-ColoradoSLV

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  4. 1muttsfan

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Best of luck :)

5. ColoradoSLV

Jul 1, 2016
    Update: The Epsom salts and the compress seem to be working, although she's still sleeping a lot! I've also installed a heat lamp and that seems to be helping, too. Still some leakage when she drinks, and she's eaten a bit of the water/feed I made for her, but her energy has improved and I find that encouraging.

With the amount of hide she's lost I doubt feathers would ever grow back on her neck; she may be an 'iso-bird' the rest of her days.

Thanks for the help!

-ColoradoSLV

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Tube feeding would probably help her. Let me know if you want to learn.

-Kathy

7. 1muttsfan

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    If you do tube feed her be VERY careful - the tissue around the injury might be delicate and easily damaged further.

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Good point. would be best to use a proper catheter since they have a smooth end that is unlikely to damage any tissue if inserted gently.

-Kathy

9. ColoradoSLV

Jul 1, 2016
    Tube feeding and a catheter? Yuck - but I'm pretty sure I can do it! *S* The hole is pretty small - about half the size of this "o" - and I don't know how big in diameter her esophagus is.

I just fed her and gave her a little water - she took just one 'peck' of each then went back to sleep. Tomorrow morning I plan to change the dressing again while getting her cleaned up some more - a mild Epson salt bath.

P.S. 42K and 17K posts...and I've got five (six including this one)? I've got some catching up to do! :)

10. 1muttsfan

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Just BYC addicts I guess [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by