essential human nutrition help in Australia, Iodine

Discussion in 'DIY / Self Sufficiency' started by GodofPecking, May 23, 2018.

1. GodofPecking

GodofPecking Songster

Dec 16, 2015
    Australia soil does not have iodine, half of all children in australia and most adults don't have enough. I have thyroid problems and so do some of my friends. I wanted to buy some when I was getting some other chemicals from a chemical company so I can spread it about the yard, but they tell me it is category one restricted item and they cant sell me any at all. it is apparently used sometimes to make amphetamine, a drug associated with white trash and poor hygiene.

Iodine is required for proper functioning. How do people get Iodine when your doctor says you cannot have salt in your diet, and if salt puts your blood pressure up high, how can you get more in your diet in Australia in a self sufficient manner. The only solutions worth spending resources on are permanent solutions, how to increase the iodine of my diet, preferably through an increase in iodine in the chooks and the eggs.

from research:
    "Iodine deficiency gives rise to hypothyroidism, symptoms of which are extreme fatigue, goiter, mental slowing, depression, weight gain, and low basal body temperatures. Iodine deficiency is the leading cause of preventable Intellectual disability a result that occurs primarily when babies or small children are rendered hypothyroidic by a lack of the element, the addition of iodine to table salt has largely eliminated this problem in the wealthier nations, but iodine deficiency remains a serious public health problem today... Information processing, fine motor skills, and visual problem solving are improved by iodine repletion in moderately iodine-deficient children. "
    '"Environmental iodine deficiency causes a wide spectrum of devastating mental and physical disorders "

ABSTRACT
    Objective:
    To document the population iodine nutritional status in Australian schoolchildren.
    Design and setting:
    Cross-sectional survey of schoolchildren aged 8–10 years, based on a one-stage random cluster sample drawn from all Year 4 school classes in government and non-government schools in the five mainland Australian states of New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia, Western Australia and Queensland. The studywas conducted between July 2003 and December 2004.
    Participants:
    1709 students from 88 schools (881 boys and 828 girls), representing 85% of the estimated target number of students. The class participation rate was 65%.
    Main outcome measures:
    (i) Urinary iodine excretion (UIE) levels (compared with the criteria for the severity of iodine deficiency of the World Health Organization/ International Council for the Control of Iodine Deficiency Disorders: iodine replete,UIE100μg/L; mild iodine deficiency, UIE 50–99μg/L; moderate iodine deficiency, UIE 20–49μg/L; severe iodine deficiency, UIE < 20μg/L); (ii) Thyroid volumes measured by ultrasound (compared with new international reference values).
    Results:
    Overall, children in mainland Australia are borderline iodine deficient, with anational median UIE of 104μg/L. On a state basis, NSW and Victorian children are mildly iodine deficient, with median UIE levels of 89μg/L and 73.5μg/L, respectively. SouthAustralian children are borderline iodine deficient, with a median UIE of 101μg/L. Both Queensland and Western Australian children are iodine sufficient, with median UIElevels of 136.5μg/L and 142.5μg/L, respectively. Thyroid volumes in Australian schoolchildren are marginally increased compared with international normative dataobtained from children living in iodine sufficient countries. There was no significant association between UIE and thyroid volume.
    Conclusion:
    Our results confirm the existence of inadequate iodine intake in the Australian population, and we call for the urgent implementation of mandatory iodisation of all edible salt in Australia

yeah thats great unless your on a low salt diet.

btw, Cretinism arises from a diet deficient in iodine. It has affected many people worldwide and continues to be a major public health problem in many countries. Cretinism noun, Pathology. a congenital disease due to absence or deficiency of normal thyroid secretion, characterized by physical deformity, dwarfism, and mental retardation, and often by goiter.

2. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Crossing the Road

Mar 21, 2016
    Maricopa, AZ. (near Phoenix)
    Good dietary sources of iodine include iodized salt; dairy products (animals secrete dietary iodine into milk and animal feed contains iodine); and seafood including fish, shellfish, seaweed, kelp, sardines and canned tuna. Plants grown on iodine-rich soil are also good sources. If you are eating a healthy, balanced, varied diet, you’re probably getting enough iodine and don’t need to use iodized salt. If you find that you don't have any of these containing iodine over there, perhaps you can find some vitamins that contain the iodine that you need.

Newchickymama37 likes this.
  3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    All of the above information is true. However, in a country where the soil is deficient, dairy products will also be deficient. For the Australian living inland who does not have access to sea food, iodine must be supplied by non dietary means. @GodofPecking , are you in Australia? Can you get iodine prescribed by a MD?

4. GodofPecking

GodofPecking Songster

Dec 16, 2015
    Well I dont like to give out private information online for typical reasons. I could get a prescription, but not after a financial collapse, or if I'm lucky enough to move to an even more remote area and be more self sufficient, or if the car breaks down, I just want iodine in the garden, boom, its done.

Sorry Bluebaby I find myself incapable of reading past the first 8 words. I can't do it, Im one of those people who just cant do some things, like windows 7,8, or 10. Just can't do it.

5. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Crossing the Road

Mar 21, 2016
    Maricopa, AZ. (near Phoenix)
    That's ok. I was just trying to help you to come up with some ideas.

6. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    OP, can you lay in a supply of dried sea kelp? You could even have it packaged in air tight packages. Though, I don't know if the sodium content of the kelp would be too high for you.

7. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    From my reading, iodine deficiency is already a huge problem for a majority of the world's population. I am blessed to live in a coastal state where the soil is not deficient, and I have fair access to sea food.

8. GodofPecking

GodofPecking Songster

Dec 16, 2015
    Two words.

Bronwyn Delacruz.

Bronwyn Delacruz.

9. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Interesting. Bottom line: we are quickly destroying our planet.

10. HoopyFrood

HoopyFrood Songster

Mar 21, 2016
    Maine, USA
    My Coop
    Hooray for anonymity online :) One strategy to at least consider if you haven't already: find a private party you know and trust in a country where iodine access is easy. Have them buy it and ship it to you via private courier.

lazy gardener likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: