essential oil mist for respiratory diseases?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Floc Quebecois, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Floc Quebecois

Floc Quebecois Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Montreal
    Hey!

I was wondering if someone ever used essential oils in a mist to ease a respiratory disease? I ordered antibiotics and oxine but I still need to wait until next week to get them. [​IMG]

I was thinking about using a mist of water and oregano oil as it has some antibiotic properties... just to make my hen wait until I get the meds (we are not sure what she has but are giving her probiotics, vit b complex, vit e, acv in water, oregano oil drops... name it! ).
    Do you think it could be good for her? or bad?
    Also, maybe I'm dumb and shouldn't own chickens (so sorry for asking and for my ignorance as a brand new chicken owner) but could some bleach be used in a mist as well? [​IMG]

All opinions/suggestions are welcome!

2. mammat

mammat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    columbus ohio
    Noooooo bleach. I would think any mist would make it worse. Resp disease is exacerbated by moisture in poultry.

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    wait for the oxine and put it in a vaporizer....it has worked wonders for fungal respiratory issues.

4. Floc Quebecois

Aug 3, 2011
    Montreal
    ok... I will hold any crazy idea I could have until the oxine gets here (which should be next tuesday... ) Can't wait to get that stuff! We've been trying to figure out why this girl had an impacted crop and treating her all the time for that but then figured a few days ago that the crop was probably a result of something else... Now it's back to square one with a hen that has been sick all this time... That's probably why I'm making up cures right now! [​IMG]

Well, I guess she's strong enough to wait for the oxine. She does cough a lot but she's so active! Eats, drinks, wants to get out of her hospital-dog-crate, breaths in between coughs (which are about every 30 minutes; one small but loud cough... She doesn't rattle: maybe just the breathe right away after the cough and that's it until the next one!)

Thanks for your input!

5. Floc Quebecois

Aug 3, 2011
    Montreal
    Quote:So, in order to be all ready when the oxine gets here, can i use a humidifier? or a spray bottle and mist it above her head?

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:So, in order to be all ready when the oxine gets here, can i use a humidifier? or a spray bottle and mist it above her head?

You can use a spray bottle with a very fine mist sprayed over the top of her head 3 times a day for 10 days. Hopefully it will work for you.

7. Floc Quebecois

Aug 3, 2011
    Montreal

You can use a spray bottle with a very fine mist sprayed over the top of her head 3 times a day for 10 days. Hopefully it will work for you.

Thanks!

I really hope it will work... I'll keep you guys posted!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by