Essential oils are?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Carolyn252, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Carolyn252

Carolyn252 Mother of Chickens

Can anyone tell me if BYC member "Resolution" has already been asked to please tell us what are the Essential Oils that he recommends for chickens?

I've searched the posts, but can't seem to find it.

Thanks,
    -Carolyn

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I use an essential oil called purification for the prevention of fleas and mites on all my animals. Including my chickens. [​IMG]

You can get it from young living (on the net). Not quite sure what is in it, but it is a mixture of different oils that helps with a lot of different things.

ETA: http://www.youngliving.com/essential-oil-blends/Purification

Purification[​IMG]
    can be used directly on the skin to cleanse and soothe insect bites, cuts, and scrapes. When diffused, it helps to purify and cleanse the air from environmental impurities including cigarette smoke and other disagreeable odours.

Ingredients: Citronella (Cymbopogon nardus), lemongrass (Cymbopogon flexuosus), rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis), Melaleuca (Melaleuca alternifolia) lavandin (Lavandula x hybrida), and myrtle (Myrtus communis).

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  3. Carolyn252

Carolyn252 Mother of Chickens

I think Resolution was alluding to essential oils to be fed to the chickens. I might be wrong though. Am hoping Resolution will post a reply.
    -Carolyn252

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I think he was recommending feeding spices that contain essential oils, mixed into feed. The essential oils are what you smell, when you smell spices or flowers.

Usually when you talk about essential oils, you are talking about a bottle of just the essential oil that came from that plant, flower or spice. It's then either added by the drop to something as an ingredient or allowed to scent the air. They are very concentrated and most are dangerous to apply to bare skin. They need to be diluted. They should also be diluted to consume them. Only some are food grade. Others are only fragrance grade. I've also seen some that were synthetic.

5. araceli

araceli Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2011
    I know where you can get those oils if you like to without registering for a membership.

I am about to experience them with the chickens for the first time. I was reading here on BYC a few stories about using oils and they sound promising.

In December I lost my first chicken, sadly enough. She was my Araucana. She had poop stuck to her but and stunk like urine. I washed her up with warm water for two days. A Sat and Sun. Then I had to leave town. Two days later she died. Since then all seem well. One and now two have seemed to need thier nostrils cleaned every now and then. And another is now in the coop hiding, I think she may be fighting something. I sprayed the inside with water that has the oregano oil and also a water that has thieves oil. They are tiny spray bottles and I put one drop in each with water, because the oils are so powerful and chickens are tiny compared to us. We'll see how this works. If not maybe I will find vet for Monday if no improvement.

6. breezy

breezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Sand Coulee MT
    I am a certified clinical aromatherapist. My certification qualifies me to work in hospice /hospital/ type settings. I would be happy to answer any questions anyone has regarding the use of essential oils. Pm or email me and I will answer to the best of my ability.

1 person likes this.
  7. araceli

Jul 8, 2011
    Thank you! Maybe you read what I sprayed in the smaller coop. I sprayed only a tiny bit to see how it helps. First time.

8. breezy

breezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Sand Coulee MT

If your spraying the coop with the oils you mentioned for disease issues oregano is highly anti viral and thieves is highly anti bacterial. Both can be really overpowering so using them in small quantities is best. Thieves is fairly effective against staph by the way altho it certainly isnt the only essential oil blend that works.

1 person likes this.
  9. DOnSoCalOC

DOnSoCalOC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    I make a mixture of Eucalyptus in 100proof Vodka and diluted w/water. I spray this all over the coop for creepy crawlies, mites etc. It can be sprayed on the girls, but I use DE and give them dust baths with it. Our girls eat soy-free organic feed, lots of healthy organic "scraps" from the table, and other healthy goodies. Hopefully that keeps them healthy.

Young Living has a lot of great oils, but I purchase my products from Ancient Wisdom Essential Oils and Mountain Rose Herbs as they are not as costly as YL.

Best to you!

10. araceli

Jul 8, 2011
    Seems one is still not feeling well. Two nights she hid away from the others and slept alone. This morning she doesn't want to come out. She is a Favrolle. Doesn't want to be checked, she gets kinda mean. We've had this up and down weather, one day 77, next 50 and at night 30's. And rain. I'm thinking the food that got wet might of spoiled and I did see her eating what I dumped out. Should I spray some ginger oil for her tummy?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by