Essential oils to clean chicken coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cvlcite, Oct 19, 2019.

1. cvlcite

cvlcite In the Brooder

Sep 5, 2019
    Florida
    Hey yall. I’ve been reading about putting in a few drops of essential oils in a water and vinegar mixture to clean & deodorize chicken coops, was just wondering if these oils are ok to use? I question it bc I know some oils are unsafe for certain animals and wanted to know if the ones I have might be or not, thanks!

Attached Files:

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Crossing the Road

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I'm sure they are safe but are probably pricey for the cleaning benefit they contribute.
    To truly disinfect a coop or barn, activated oxine is the best thing to use.

3. AltonaAcres

AltonaAcres Songster

Jan 13, 2019
    I use Peppermint Oil (an essential oil) after cleaning my coop to keep mice at bay.

Lilalienangel and cvlcite like this.
  4. cvlcite

cvlcite In the Brooder

Sep 5, 2019
    Florida
    I work at a store that sells these and I can get a discount! But thank you I’ll try to get my hands on some activated oxine!

5. cvlcite

cvlcite In the Brooder

Sep 5, 2019
    Florida
    Ooh I’ve read a lot about peppermint oil I’ll try that too! Thanks!

chonsey likes this.
  6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Crossing the Road

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    This is where I get mine. You need the citric acid activator.
    https://www.revivalanimal.com/produ...HizslBoP1gM2w_i34StKbEx43H6_ZdYwaAjGAEALw_wcB
    Used properly it will kill all bacteria, virus and fungi.

I really like the idea of essential oils. I've made them but usually they won't kill pathogens.

cvlcite likes this.
  7. chonsey

chonsey Crowing

Oct 17, 2015
    État du grand lac
    Thank you! Just ordered some - got a used chicken coop from a farmer down the road - my chickens don't like it, they're camping out on my back deck and I was trying to figure out how to sanitize it and get it to smell better - thank you again for sharing. Can't wait to get them moved in to the coop and off the back deck! Bought some essential oil spray for chickens from TSC on clearance - to use once my chickens are ready to move in!

ChickenCanoe likes this.
  8. chonsey

chonsey Crowing

Oct 17, 2015
    État du grand lac
    Just ordered some, will be disinfecting the chicken coop - and the previous owners had cattle in the barn, so will be cleaning the barn, too. Thank you so much for sharing!

9. chonsey

chonsey Crowing

Oct 17, 2015
    État du grand lac
    Will be trying this, too!

10. Lilalienangel

Lilalienangel Songster

Aug 28, 2019
    1/2 water 8oz
    1/2 vinegar 8oz
    20 drops tea tree oil
    Works like a charm
    Let it set 3 minutes to disinfect.
    That's what I do anyways. It really id's awesome as an all purpose cleaner. It smells like vinegar until it is dry but it rocks otherwise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: