Establishing a Covey

Discussion in 'Quail' started by chrishel, Oct 5, 2011.

1. chrishel

chrishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    A guy at work asked me where I got my quail because he has some friends that own 60 acres and want to establish a covey or two of bobwhites on their property. Is that possible or will they just fly away?

He said they tried to raise and release pheasants but they just flew off.

They were looking for bobwhite chicks, but I'm thinking it's the wrong season to try to start that.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    There will be a repeat performance in the releasing of the Bobwhites. You will be only sending them off to their deaths. As far as getting Bobwhite quail chicks, you will have to wait til late next spring before Bobs start to lay again.

3. quailmale

quailmale Chillin' With My Peeps

You can order eggs from WADLEY QUAIL Farm in Georgia, they sell year round, they raise 10's of thousands of Quail. I have 250 in the incubator from them right now due to hatch next Wednesday. I live in Central Florida and even though they are shipped I have been getting and 86% hatch rate or better. They only ship on Monday -Wednesday so they don't sit in the PO. [​IMG]

4. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:I have a coupla wild coveys around me but I have a predator control program there are a coupla guys who release them around here same deal they use electronic callers to shoot preds with I tap really hard during trapping season I can see the difference with a lot more wild ducks and turtles being here in the marsh I live in LOL

5. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    It's very difficult and expensive to establish new populations of quail!

6. chrishel

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    Thanks. I'll let him know. I brought some boiled cot eggs to work to share and he was the only one enthusiastic about them. Everyone was kind of freaked out about miniature eggs. But he asked me if I collected them myself. I said, well, "yes, out of the cage." I guess he thought I collected them in a field. Which would be fine, except how would I know if they were half developed or rotten or anything? I guess I could have candled them. [​IMG]

I just thought about Filipino Balut which is a boiled egg that is partially developed. For chickens, about 17-21 days developed. Gross!

7. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    Quote:balut is duck :E...but yea i dunno if i could stomach that one.

8. chrishel

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    The one I got my hands on that was smuggled from the Philippines was a chicken egg. Duck, chicken, ewww...

My friend and I took the shell off of it for Biology class. Luckily, you couldn't see anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by