Establishing a pecking order or starting to fight????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lovemychicks9, May 27, 2008.

1. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    I have 6 week old chicks , 5 Buff Orps and today I noticed that the girls , yes I said girls, were doing that chest bumping thing and then they would stand and stare at each other or start to chase each other around. The Americaunas (5 of them) tend to do the same thing amongst themselves and on accasionally to the Buffs. Are they just establishing a pecking order or is this a bully attitude starting or is this a Roo thing, because if it is then someone needs to tell those boys that they are girls!!! [​IMG] I bought all pullets and there is only 1 in question as to a Roo and I really do not think she is, better not be as I am already attached and DH says if it has to crow, then it has to go. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    They are just establishing pecking order. The girls can do the chest bumping, chasing, pecking, get their feathers up, etc. It's fine.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My girls have always done more chest bumping and dirty staring than my boys. Now at 6 1/2 weeks my boys are finally starting to decide who's boss, which I need to post about and will shortly.

4. lovemychicks9

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Okay --- so they are normal. Man those chick chicks really got it going on! They do the dirty staring really good-- so much so that I feel like the low end of the pecking pole. Kinda gives a whole new meaning to the word " Chick Fights " doesn't it? [​IMG]

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    It is a built in female thing...I give my kids "the Look" constantly. Why should our chicken girls be any different? [​IMG]

6. lovemychicks9

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Yes now that I think about it you are so right!! I give my kids that "look" and they just know the sky is about to fall if they don't behave. Heck my DH has been known to get that look too. When he does he just smiles and nods, and slowly backs away. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by