Establishing pecking order or just mean cockerel

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by silversniper, Nov 17, 2011.

1. silversniper

silversniper Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2011
    So last sunday i finally got my pullets delivered 2 large fowl, a light sussex and a blue ranger around 22 weeks old and 3 bantams lights sussex, black rock and blue ranger all 6 weeks. To keep my 13 week light sussex cockerel company.

There all in a 16x 4 ft run.

Up until last monday my cockerel had never even met another chicken, however it took him less than a minute to become topdog.

It's day 4. All the pullets run away from him now, he pecks at them while their running past EVERYTIME, sometimes he'll walk across the whole run just to peck one.

I thought the pecking order was established in the first day, how long will it take? or Is he just mean ?

Just wanted to add the bantams try sleeping under his wings and he always runs off. Could he just be scared off them and still getting used to other chicks

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Well, the pecking order isn't always set in stone, and sounds like he's maintaining it. I've seen my roosters do this to the other roosters all the time, and I do it myself to keep my top dog status. If he's not drawing blood or incessantly picking on one bird in particular, I'd leave them alone.

3. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    You could run into problems with your rooster injuring your bantam hens when he tries to mate. I've heard it's not a good idea but maybe others have had successes with it.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

The pecking order is a dynamic thing, actually. It takes 'em a while to establish is, and there will be some challenging to make sure they really know their places in that paradigm.

And pecking is part of it. If they aren't drawing blood from combs or wattles, it's going well.

5. pokemonshop

pokemonshop Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2011
    separate them for a few months then put him back when the others are sleeping wake up together and they get along better. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  6. Dead Rabbit

Dead Rabbit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Virginia
    some roosters are just plain mean to others, even hens. i dont tolerate it myself. if hes not a gentleman and catering to the hens he gets his self gone quick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by