Estes Hatchery Ducklings- Please Respond

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by AnconaDuckFarm, Feb 10, 2015.

1. AnconaDuckFarm

AnconaDuckFarm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2014
    I have ordered 20 female Ancona ducklings from Estes Hatchery. They are due to ship tomorrow and arrive Friday. Can I please have some reviews of the ducklings ordered from here and how the sexing was(if you got it)
    Thanks and please respond

2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    I can't speak for that particular hatchery, but I will say ducklings can be sexed far more easily than chicks. I received a similar sized order from Metzer and all were female.

3. AnconaDuckFarm

AnconaDuckFarm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2014

Thanks

4. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Do you know where the source them from?

5. Carrie7

Carrie7 New Egg

Mar 20, 2015
    Blacksburg, VA
    I ordered sexed Ancona ducklings from Estes hatchery too. How was your experience?

I wanted 3 females and a drake, and only one of the four is quacking at eight weeks! The other ones have a hoarse whispery peep. I'm afraid they might have gotten it backwards!

6. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Sounds like they gave you one female and the rest males!

7. Carrie7

Carrie7 New Egg

Mar 20, 2015
    Blacksburg, VA
    Yup! They accidentally sent all males and 1 female--not the ratio I was hoping for in my primarily egg-laying small pet flock!

Since they're not labelled as male/female when shipped, and my invoice was correct, I didn't discover the mistake until their voices changed...hard to rehome at that point, and I was attached to them, not suspecting they might be male. Since there was one female, I couldn't even keep a bachelor flock without rehoming the female.

The hatchery has since apologized and sent more females. (But my male:female ratio still isn't what I ordered). I hope they will all get along!

8. Pixie

Pixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Lake County IL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by