estes hatchery springfield/mt vernon mo

forgive7

In the Brooder
Aug 11, 2019
I used to have a good relation with estes, for 40 yrs and was quite satisfied.
Something has changed there, i was treated rudely when they did not make good on orders to my satisfaction, but chose their own satisfaction, as a remedy. This happened 2 yrs in a row. If you have bought chicks before, you know it takes time to grow a chick and find out, what sex it is. They decide the timing of this, but i have not found this out for a couple weeks after their threshold of sexing, what sex they are. A lot of work and money in something, that you cannot use. They wanted to replace 6-8 week old chicks with day old, i wanted credit for next year, they wouldn't do that. What value do you put on a 6 week old chicken?
Ok, I bought leghorns in which they gave me california whites, they said they couldn't guarantee white leghorns. When asked why they advertise white leg, they told me that I was being unreasonable.
I bought 2 buff orphington pullets, 8 weeks later, i have 2 buff roosters. Estes wanted to replace with day old chicks
I bought 5 Americana pullets, these take even more time to find out if they are roosters. I got 4 roosters and only 1 pullet. It took more than 3 mo for 2 of them. Estes solution replace with day old.
Year 2 I bought 7 americana pullets, 5 were roosters, solution replace with day old.
Estes sexing is not accurate, and i don't want to spend 2 months to find out estes performance on sexing again, to much work and time.
I've had excellent sexing with cackle, 7 Amerca pullets, and i received 7 pullets. But getting pricey.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC!
I've bought most of my chicks from Estes and found the sexing to be accurate in all of them. Most, if not all hatcheries cannot guarantee more than 90% accuracy, and they can only replace with new chicks or a refund of pullet price on over 10% mis-sexed. Cackle does the same. But if you live within driving distance of Cackle, they have a much better selection. I have bought from both, but Estes is much closer so I will continue to buy chicks there as I prefer to pick up my chicks rather than have them shipped through the mail.
Good luck with future chicks!

Welcome to BYC!
I've bought most of my chicks from Estes and found the sexing to be accurate in all of them. Most, if not all hatcheries cannot guarantee more than 90% accuracy, and they can only replace with new chicks or a refund of pullet price on over 10% mis-sexed. Cackle does the same. But if you live within driving distance of Cackle, they have a much better selection. I have bought from both, but Estes is much closer so I will continue to buy chicks there as I prefer to pick up my chicks rather than have them shipped through the mail.
Good luck with future chicks!
My comment stands exactly as i said, and i know their policies; they would not give me credit..... I bought from estes for over 40 yrs. Do you work/related to/for them? They have changed. What amount of value do "you" put on your birds when you sell them, day old price? Why are you protesting my experience? Judging by your "quote", with the exclamation at the end; my experience/story angered you. Would you like people to think as they do, that i'm unreasonable? My problems with estes are the (Truth)!
I see you have removed the spin word quote in parenthesis

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom