Esther's Eggs for the Hungry

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by ClareScifi, Apr 4, 2012.

1. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    A man stopped by just now and wondered whether we could give him a box of food. He was looking for the Food Bank. I saw him admiring my chickens, leaning over their pen, and I asked if he'd like some eggs.

"Fresh, farm eggs from your chickens?!" he inquired excitedly. I said yes. He was just thrilled with the offer. So I went and got them for him. He admired their beautiful brown shade (they are Esther Mary's eggs, my Barred Rock hen's eggs). He was tickled to death.

It was so satisfying to share the eggs with him. He seemed like a really nice man. He asked whether roosters lay eggs. HAHA.

2. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    Love it!

3. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    I told him my rooster had laid every single egg. But then my neighbor came along, and heard only the word "rooster." He's hard of hearing. He said to the poor man, "Her rooster laid these eggs that are a bit lighter shade of brown than the others." (He pointed to the paler brown eggs.) He gave me the hen who had laid the eggs and he knows roosters don't lay eggs. He added, "That's how you can tell which eggs were laid by the rooster-- they are a bit lighter in hue." Poor hungry man. He didn't know what to think. I think he caught on that we were pulling his leg, but he was so happy to have the eggs, that he didn't even care. :>)

4. Mzkynd

Mzkynd Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2012
    Manistee, MI
    What a lovely thing to do!!

5. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    Thank you, Mzkynd. It was very rewarding.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by