Estimated hatch day is July 15th!!! First hatch.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by six little chicks, Jun 25, 2010.

1. six little chicks

six little chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    Hornell, NY
    Last week we lost our rooster, so this week, our hen decided to lay eggs (she was laying before we got her but had stopped when we brought her home) after mating with said rooster. So, my boyfriend decided to build an incubator. He has built it and the temps are staying steady and we put two eggs in, then last night, I was driving down a back country road, I saw a woman putting out fresh eggs to sell, I stopped, I needed eggs anyways, I got to talking to her and asked if they were fertile eggs, and she told me yes, I asked her what kind of chickens does she have, she took me by the hand and brought me right out to her five coops. She had the most gorgeous chickens, all well kept and really friendly, one hen jumped right up on my arm and wanted to roost there. I decided to buy the eggs, I ended up paying a $1.50 for a dozen. I got EE, BO and RIR eggs; I put two of each in the incubator when I got home. The way we timed it for hatch day, the other ones that my boyfriend’s sister ordered for us, should hatch the same day. Can we put our hatched ones with the ones that we get from the hatchery? I’m sure I will have lots of questions as the hatch goes on.

2. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    I'm going to admit I'm not sure what you are asking. I THINK you are asking, can you put two hatches from different dates together.... and the answer is typically yes. We added week old araucana mixes in with our 4 week old polish, and the polish mommied the littler chicks. I have staggered hatches, and the new chicks so far have always been welcomed by the ones who hatch first.

But of course, you should always watch the cheeps when you mix groups, to make sure no one is pecking anyone else's head off or something. They can get mean, but if you add them both to a new place together then neither of them should have territory issues. They'll work out a pecking order.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  3. six little chicks

six little chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    Hornell, NY
    That was exactly what I was asking. Thank you very much. Now, I just have to wait for them to hatch and for the hatchery to ship, waiting is so hard...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by