Estimated progress of egg?

albinosilver

Songster
May 17, 2018
I got a few eggs from my friend. She had a hen sitting on them for who knows how long outside but the hen disappeared about a day ago. I candled the eggs but they are very dark inside and all I can see is the air space on the bottom. I float tested one egg and it actually started rocking back and forth!

I’ve put them in my incubator now. Is it possible to estimate how far into incubation the eggs are?

I do not have pictures sorry. It is very hard to see inside even if I had them. It’s like dark red and black colour taking up most of the egg.

Oh I read online that it is ok to float test if egg is alive. Will the egg be ok?

I would not put them in water again.

Do you see any movement inside the egg.

Either a chick moving or if you slightly move the egg does all of the inside move freely?

I couldn’t see any movement inside when I candled. It doesn’t move when I turn the egg either.

I agree about the "float test" -- hate it! :D

Do you see any veins at all, near the membrane next to the air cell?
Is the air cell misshapen, like not just normal tilt, but drawn down? They draw down with 2-3 days to go.
Like this:
WP_20180508_08_06_31_Pro.jpg

One of the eggs has a tiny chip at the top of the big end this morning! I’m at work now so I can’t check on it until this evening. My humidity is at 50% because I wasn’t sure what stage the eggs were at. Will things be ok for 6 more hours? This is my first time hatching anything. How long does it usually take for them to hatch?

Do they usually chirp when they are hatching? I could not hear any noise this morning. Should I expect it to be hatched out when I’m back or does it take longer than that from pip to hatch?

Back
Top Bottom