1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ETHANOL Candy...Anyone? How about Shellac Candy?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by rebel-rousing-at-night, Oct 29, 2011.

1. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

So I go to buy Halloween candy tonight.

I have 500 or so treat or treaters and can't afford high $ kind. Get a bag of Bubble Babies gum balls. Of course I sampled it. It tasted nasty so I checked the ingredients. Has shellac and ethanol in it. [​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    [​IMG]

Wow.

Even the fact that storebought Apples being coated just creeps me, but candy, wow. . . I have to admit that is funny but also sad.

3. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

You know it it hadn't tasted so nasty I wouldn't have looked as I know most candy is bad news.

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Funny observation. It gets worse. [​IMG]

Shellac is a natural, organic resin that comes from an insect, Laccifera lacca, that is about the size of an apple seed. This bug alights on certain trees indigenous to India and Thailand and during its reproductive cycle feeds on the sap that it sucks from the twigs of these trees. The bug secretes an amber colored resinous substance that is called "lac", a word that comes from the Sanskrit "lakh" which means one-hundred thousand. The resin forms a cocoon around the insect which serves to incubate the eggs she lays. This cocoon is the raw material for shellac and is called "sticklac", because it contains resin, parts of the twig and bug remains. The sticklac is washed and then refined either chemically or by hand, to produce the raw material available for sale to commerce.
    Confectionery - shellac is used to provide protective candy coatings or glazes on candies like Reese's Pieces, because of its unique ability to provide a high gloss in relatively thin coatings (like a French Polish). It was used at one time on M&M's. It is approved by the FDA as a food safe coating when dissolved in pure ethanol (not denatured).

Imp​

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Disgusting!

6. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Ethanol is from corn right? I remember shellac is from bugs,because I looked up a safe stain paint and shellac was the one I got...made from bugs.Bug and corn candy YUM!

7. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    And I thought Micky D's chicken nuggets were bad...

8. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    There's so many things wrong with our food it isn't even funny. There is a yogurt maker who decided to support breast cancer research and they put a little pink ribbon on the containers as proof they care. Too bad right in the ingredients is a chemical that promotes cancer cell growth.

9. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

It does appeal to the chicken in all of us. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

shellac + ethanol = a non fancy way of saying confectioners glaze. Think they also use it on the outside of apples too.

Now if there was an ethanol candy, think that might sell real well with those over 21! Ethanol is the active ingredient in booze.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by