Ethel ate a staple?! What do I do now?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TeamChaos, Aug 12, 2010.

  1. TeamChaos

    TeamChaos Songster

    Nov 8, 2009
    My sister informed me that she thinks my 25 week old buff orp "Ethel" gobbled down a staple while the girls were free ranging today. I looked in Ethel's mouth (I was shocked at how far down I could see) and didn't see anything and I got out the old cow magnets but they are bigger than Ethel's head and proved useless. What do I need to do or watch for? Any way I can increase the chances of her passing it safely?
    Thanks for any info. She's our friendliest chicken, I'm very worried about her.
  2. Funky Feathers

    Funky Feathers former Fattie

    Jan 15, 2009
    My Coop
    Can you use the cow magnets on the outside of her throat to draw it back up & out? I would try that. Start low, at the stomach, and move the magnet slowly up her neck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: