Ethic Delima: Marijuana?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Zahboo, Feb 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I am in Biomedical Technology and we have to prepare for a debate tomorrow. I have been assigned abortion and marijuana.

FROM A MEDICAL STAND POINT!

Do you think marijuana should or should not be legal? I personally know NOTHING about it and mom said don't google it, just post it on my "forum thingy".

I need to know pro's and cons about it.

Please no "it makes you happy" If it gets to the point that people speak about their use of it, I will ask a mod to close this thread. I want a medical view.

(Please no arguing, and any mods, if this is crossing the line on the no posts about drugs, please let me know, close it too!)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2009
  2. porteryork

porteryork Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    I think this issue is one that needs to be studied in more depth. There have been a few studies that have shown beneficial effects for Glaucoma patients and for reducing naseousness in chemo treatments. What I haven't seen are any studies on the issues with long term use. Are there any? If so, what are they? You might try looking on your library system for a medical periodical listing/database.

Good luck and let us know what you find, Michelle

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
  4. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I've gathered that it can deplete stem cells (BAD) and cause hallucinations and problems with judgement

But that it helps cancer patients, and such.

I think I'm going against, as it raises the risk to public. and it's be hard to place limitations on it, since people could grow it and abuse it. Also, that it's addictive

5. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    If you want to impress your teacher with you knowledge of current events and all, you can include the following article in your report and state that end of life issues that are not being treated medically can often be alleviated with the use of it. I am not for it, have never used it in my life, but as a health care provider I see where it seems to definitely ease suffering in some people.

Here's the article.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=email_en&refer=columnist_mccaughey&sid=aLzfDxfbwhzs

6. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    From a former LEO standpoint I believe it should be legalized. Not that I think it should be smoked I don't. But we waste millions of dollars to enforce laws that have to do with personal responsibility. Because some think we cannot think for ourselves it exasperates the problem. It should be treated in the same way alcohol is. If you abuse it and commit a crime or traffic offense while under the influence then you should be punished.

Insurance and employers should have a broader range of testing and be able to make decisions based on those tests. If you want to smoke and lose your job you suffer the consequences of your actions. Most people that I know do not use drugs, but actually not because of any law, because of employment, responsibility, and morality.

If it has any medical benefits then by all means it should be a treatment without the legal implications.

7. cmcgoun

cmcgoun Chillin' With My Peeps

From a medical standpoint, parts of Cannabis Sativa Indica regulate several body functions. As for should it be illegal. Yes and no. Marijuana does cause you to become "high" which is like being drunk. So operating an automobile becomes dangerous, as well as other things you would normally do. I ask why is it illegal, from a medical standpoint the good outweighs the bad (depending on who you talk to) you look at cigarettes and they help you in no way, and only shorten your life expectancy. Alcohol is also legal and it causes thousands more deaths than marijuana.
    There is the truth, next will come my opinion

I believe it is illegal because its a medicine you can easily grow in your backyard. If you had one medicine that did what thousands of prescription pharmaceuticals do for a fraction of the price those companies would not be in business for very long.

**I am in no way condoning the use of marijuana, and I do not smoke it myself.**

8. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    first off I would really like to trust the medical community to do the right thing, but they have proven time and again that they are very poor at policing their ranks. I would like to believe that some people benifit from the treatment but the jury is still out for me, I need more medical evidence, and a plan to curb abuse which could be a problem. Then my young friend their is the question of our own governments ability to take this in the right path, so as you can see there are a few if's here. I am sorry that I am not more help but I am just at the watchful eye stage.

AL

9. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    There is a pill form. I think I may bring up that and say that is should be strict prescription only, or they have to go to a drs office to administer treatment to avoid abuse.

10. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    When my aunt was on Chemo for her cancer, she was having a very difficult time with it. It has often been said that marijuana eases the naseau (sp) so she decided she would try it. She said it did nothing to help her and only made her feel worse.
    This was my aunts experience. My opinion is that it should be illegal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by